Alarplasty Revision Help? (photo)

This was the result of a alarplasty. My dr has tried to recut me and even derm it down, this was what it looks like now. The last revision was 6 months ago and no he want to recut me and stitch me again. I did go to get another opinion and the 2nd dr said no way should I have exterior stitching only interior , my skin is thick so the stitches left holes the last time. What is the best way to fix this ?

Alarplasty revision

+1

Hi, it is difficult to assess whether you are a candidate for revision alarplasty based on low quality photos alone. Surrounding tissue mobility and presence / absence of scar play a role in whether revision surgery would be of benefit. Placement of outside sutures should not leave visible scars, and what stands out in your situation is presence of a visible trough along both alar bases. Perhaps this can be improved with re-excision and re-suturing. Best of luck,

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Alar Base Work Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Westsidegirl, I would recommend focusing on creating a less visible scar rather than trying to do more reshaping of the alar base. It looks like you might benefit from cutting into the old scar on each side with the intention of realigning the skin edges more carefully. This can likely be done with sutures that are buried under the skin as pointed out by your second opinion rhinoplasty surgeon. In this manner you can hopefully avoid the thicker, wider appearing scar that is currently present. You will probably have to wait another 6 months or so before proceeding. Wishing you the best of luck...

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction Revision in #Rhinoplasty

+1

From your photos, it appears that you cannot remove more tissue without worsening your situation. Normally, dermabrasion can be helpful, or possibly laser resurfacing, however, once too much tissue has been removed, it is impossible to put it back.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD