Can I Have Mandibular Advancement with Preexisting Chin Implant? (photo)

I have a bad bite and will be getting orthodontics and surgery for recessive jaw. But in the mean time I would like to get a chin implant. My question is, can I get a chin implant before orthodontics and particularly mandibular advancement surgery or would a pre-existing chin implant 'get in the way' of that treatment/surgery? Thank you!!!

Chin Implant Augmentation before Jaw Advancement Surgery

+1

A chin implant will not get in the way of a mandibular advancement procedure since this is done in the back of the jaw (ramus) while the chin implant is placed in the front of the jaw. But by getting a chin implant augmentation before mandibular advancement, you should know eventually how far forward in millimeters the jawbone is going to need to be moved. That will then allow you to place a smaller chin initially so the chin is not oversized when the jaw is eventually brought forward.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Chin before jaw surgery

+1

Yes, it 'is possible' but you do compromise the result to some degree; since the degree of overbite will change with the orthodontics; and therefore, the amount of jaw advancement changes; which also changes the amount of 'chin augmentation' you need to have done for the ideal profile. So, best to wait ideally

Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon