Do I Need to Do a Mandatory Diet Program Before Gastric Bypass?

My surgeon usually requires a mandatory lifestyle course where patients learn about diet and exercise. However, he's said he's going to exempt me because my BMI is so high and I am considered a "high risk" patient. Is this the right move? Obviously I want my surgery as soon as possible but I don't want to fail either, since I know my poor diet is part of the reason I need help in the first place. Thanks!

Pre-op weight loss for gastric bypass

Some surgeons require pre-operative weight loss prior to performing surgery.  I do not believe that this makes a difference.  There has never been any studies that have shown better results after gastric bypass in patients that have lost weight preoperatively.