4 weeks post op Breast Augmentation, the new implants appear lateral. Is this normal? (photos)

I had my first BA 10yrs ago-unders 325cc each side. Replacedby choice.I've had unders 410cc each side,no real change in size. They look terrible.Awful shape and a huge gap.Practically in my armpit.I can literally move them freely around the pocket. It also looks like I'm bottoming out..thoughts? Is there a problem? Could revision correct it? I know I need to see my own PS so don't need to be told that but just wanted opinions. As surgeons would you be happy with these results if you had done it?

Lateral appearance of new breast implants

+2
Thank you for your photos.  I fully concur with Dr Alan Engler's response to your question.  Good luck.

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks post op Breast Augmentation, the new implants appear lateral. Is this normal?

+1
Based on your photos, it appears that you are 'built' with wide cleavage and very lateral breasts.  In addition, your pockets are too far lateral and appear to be starting to bottom out.  

Yes, you can have a revision to improve your situation. 

I would consider an upsize with a wider implant that fits your chest wall better, capsulorraphies to close down the lateral pocket and address the bottoming out, and a circle lift to move your nipple medially (centralizing it over the implant which is moved into a nonanatomic [for you because you are built so lateral] position.

Good luck.

Stephen J. Ronan, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Revision with Widely Spaced Implants

+1

You will likely need an implant that is much wider to fill in the gap between. The implants will also be much larger.  A textured implant may prevent lateral migration

To be sure, return to discuss with your plastic surgeon or see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Implants lateral

+1
but nipples over the mounds... so if you want to diminish the space between the breast mounds, it can be done through lateral capsulorrhaphies but your nipples rotate lateral or  larger and wider implants.  You need to know what you surgeon's revision policy is.  As for whether this is a good result, it depends on what was discussed prior to your procedure and what was chosen from the options presented.

Curtis Wong, MD

Improving implant aesthetics

+1
Thank you for your pictures.  Here is my opinion of what can be done. First if your implants are set wide apart due to surgery and not your own anatomy you could have been replaced. A dermal matrix placed to support your implants this would be called STRATTICE . Secondly, you can have the internal pocket tightened down laterally to move your implants toward the center of your chest.  These two maneuvers should improve your aesthetic result.

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Implants too wide apart

+1
Your implants appear to be too wide apart.  To correct this problem you would need a revision surgery, placing the implant in a neopocket and under the muscle.  

#BreastImplantRevision - the new implants appear lateral. Is this normal?

+1
Here's a question - from the photos, the implants appear to be centered under your nipples - are they?

If so, then they are appropriately placed.  If the implants were more medial (closer to the midline) then the nipples would be on the outer portion of each breast, which is probably not the appearance you'd be happy with.  And in this case it's actually your breasts that are a little lateral (that is often the case) and the skin along your sternum is pretty tight.

You would have to go much larger in order to get more medial fullness.  And the only other issue is that if that implants are moving around in the pockets too much you could consider textured implants.  And you should...as you noted...speak to your PS about this.

But I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

New Implants

+1
Implants should move around in a pocket and this findings is a sign you will likely not form capsular contracture and they will remain soft.  However, they do appear a bit narrow for your chest wall and maybe a wider base diameter would serve you better. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Too early to consider revision

+1
I'm sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your result so far!  Fortunately, you are far too early in the recovery process to need to undergo a revision--you still need to see how the implants settle and what the final result will look like.  As you stated above, you need to go back and be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.  It doesn't look like you are bottoming out; rather it looks like the breast implants are high and your soft tissues are lax in the lower pole.  I would expect your implants to settle in the next few weeks and for this lax skin/soft tissues to improve.  But--your surgeon would have a better idea of how much/how quickly to expect the implants to settle. Best wishes,
-Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Implant Malposition Post Op

+1
Thank you for your question. At 4 weeks post op it is too early to discuss revisional surgery. If you are still  unhappy at 6 months, implant malposition can be corrected with surgery. Good luck.

Lisa M. DiFrancesco, MD