Mammogram Showed Shadow After Breast Implants, What Could The Cause Be?

My first mammogram today since I had my implants a year ago shows a shadow. I need to go back in for further testing. What effect do implants have on mammograms such as having shadows?

Mammogram showed shadow after breast implants. What could the cause be?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders.  Rupture of implants with mammogram are highly unlikely.  This finding could be something new - did you have a mammogram prior to having your implants placed?  If this is a new finding, work-up will likely include further imaging studies such as repeat mammogram, ultrasound, MRI, and/or biopsy.  It very well be a benign finding as well.

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, with breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  I typically recommend a preoperative mammogram prior to breast surgery, since the architecture of the breast will change.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.   Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Mammogram after breast augmentation

+1

Shadows may represent a benign or malignant changes they also maybe just an artifact. It would be wise to go over the results with a radiologist and if needed a breast surgeon to assure it is benign. Other studies like Ultrasound or MRI are used to future evaluate any suspicious lesions.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

"Shadow" on Mammogram after Breast Augmentation?

+1

There may be many  “causes” of “shadowing” seen on mammogram. The differential diagnosis will include many benign and malignant lesions. The presence of the breast implant may be the source of the shadowing seen.

I'm glad that you are following up with the additional testing requested;  I'm sure the radiologists involved will be able to  determine the exact source of the findings on mammogram for you.