Do I Need a Mammogram, MRI, or Any Other Kind of Check Up Before Getting Breast Augmentation?

Mammogram before breast augmentation?

+1
Dear Mustangrl,Thank you for your post. In general, I follow the patient's gynecologists guidelines for mammograms which is commonly to start at age 40. While getting a mammogram earlier is not a requirement for surgery, it is not harmful either. 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer so it is a valuable but not perfect screening tool. I would talk it over with your surgeon and find what you both agree with.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Imaging study prior to breast augmentation?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  This a great question, which is often asked by patients.  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders. 

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, with breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  I typically recommend a preoperative mammogram prior to breast surgery, since the architecture of the breast will change.  Age and family history are also important variables.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.  Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast studies before augmentation.

+1

The indication for breast imaging prior to breast augmentation depends mainly on 2 factors:

1. Your age
  2. Family history

Typically, I recommend a mammogram in any woman over the age of 35 prior to any breast surgery. In women with a strong family history, and particularly if a family member has the breast cancer gene (BRCA 1 or 2), I would recommend a mammogram or MRI even prior to the age of 35.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram Before Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

There are guidelines you should follow which are dictated by your age and family history. I would consult with your surgeon on that matter. All of my patients who are 40 with no family history must have a mammogram on file prior to breast surgery. If they have a family history these guidelines change. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Mammogram before Breast Augmentation

+1

In my practice, we routinely get a mammogram before a patient has a breast augmentation.  This serves 2 purposes.  It could reveal an underlying spot in the breast that we would want to be aware of and might want to biopsy before the augmentation.  The picture would also serve as a reference to compare to in the future once breast implants are in place.  With silicone implants in place, there is a little opacity (cloudiness) to the picture that can detract from the clarity so it is nice to have a clear picture of the breast for future reference.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Are mammograms necessary for breast augmentation?

+1

If you are a healthy woman with no history of breast disease or a family history of breast cancer and are under 40 years of age, i do not require a preoperative mammogram.  If you are over 40 and/or have a history of breast disease or a family history of breast cancer, then i suggest obtaining a baseline mammogram.

Leonard Tachmes, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram or MRI before Breast Augmentation?

+1

You will find that different plastic surgeons may have different approaches to breast imaging prior to breast augmentation surgery. In my practice, mammograms are ordered for patients older than 40 years of age unless they have a  positive family history.

Mammo before aug

+1

I usually recommend that anyone getting an aug who has not had a mammogram get one for a base line.This way if soemthing comes up in the future you have a comparison.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Radiologic screening before breast augmentation

+1

As the other plastic surgeons have mentioned, it has to deal with age and family history.  Over 40 or 35 if there is a family history.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+1

If you are 40 years of age or older, then you need to have a mammogram every year, regardless on whether or not you are having surgery.  If you have a strong family history of breast cancer, your physician may recommend that you start having screening mammograms earlier.  If you are considering breast surgery, discuss when your last mammogram was with your plastic surgeon.  If it was more then six- twelve months prior to your breast surgery, your plastic surgeon may go ahead have you obtain a mammogram prior to your augmentation.  However, if you are in your twenties and don't have a strong family history of breast cancer, you probably don't need a mammogram before your surgery.  But once again, make sure to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon