Do I Need a Mammogram, MRI, or Any Other Kind of Check Up Before Getting Breast Augmentation?

Breast studies before augmentation.

+1

The indication for breast imaging prior to breast augmentation depends mainly on 2 factors:

1. Your age
  2. Family history

Typically, I recommend a mammogram in any woman over the age of 35 prior to any breast surgery. In women with a strong family history, and particularly if a family member has the breast cancer gene (BRCA 1 or 2), I would recommend a mammogram or MRI even prior to the age of 35.

Web reference: http://www.drbogue.com

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram Before Breast Augmentation #breastimplants

+1

There are guidelines you should follow which are dictated by your age and family history. I would consult with your surgeon on that matter. All of my patients who are 40 with no family history must have a mammogram on file prior to breast surgery. If they have a family history these guidelines change. 

Mammogram before Breast Augmentation

+1

In my practice, we routinely get a mammogram before a patient has a breast augmentation.  This serves 2 purposes.  It could reveal an underlying spot in the breast that we would want to be aware of and might want to biopsy before the augmentation.  The picture would also serve as a reference to compare to in the future once breast implants are in place.  With silicone implants in place, there is a little opacity (cloudiness) to the picture that can detract from the clarity so it is nice to have a clear picture of the breast for future reference.

Are mammograms necessary for breast augmentation?

+1

If you are a healthy woman with no history of breast disease or a family history of breast cancer and are under 40 years of age, i do not require a preoperative mammogram.  If you are over 40 and/or have a history of breast disease or a family history of breast cancer, then i suggest obtaining a baseline mammogram.

Web reference: http://www.tachmesmd.com/services/body-procedures/breast-augmentation/

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram or MRI before Breast Augmentation?

+1

You will find that different plastic surgeons may have different approaches to breast imaging prior to breast augmentation surgery. In my practice, mammograms are ordered for patients older than 40 years of age unless they have a  positive family history.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Mammo before aug

+1

I usually recommend that anyone getting an aug who has not had a mammogram get one for a base line.This way if soemthing comes up in the future you have a comparison.

Web reference: http://beautybybrueck.com

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Radiologic screening before breast augmentation

+1

As the other plastic surgeons have mentioned, it has to deal with age and family history.  Over 40 or 35 if there is a family history.

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+1

If you are 40 years of age or older, then you need to have a mammogram every year, regardless on whether or not you are having surgery.  If you have a strong family history of breast cancer, your physician may recommend that you start having screening mammograms earlier.  If you are considering breast surgery, discuss when your last mammogram was with your plastic surgeon.  If it was more then six- twelve months prior to your breast surgery, your plastic surgeon may go ahead have you obtain a mammogram prior to your augmentation.  However, if you are in your twenties and don't have a strong family history of breast cancer, you probably don't need a mammogram before your surgery.  But once again, make sure to discuss these issues with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Pre screeing before breast augmentation

+1

The recommendations for breast screening is also based upon family history. If you have had a family history of breast cancer then it is recommended to have mammograms starting at 35.

Do I Need a Mammogram, MRI, Before Getting Breast Augmentation?

+1

The recognized guidelines apply whether or not you are having surgery. Mammograms should be done if you are 40 or older. With a strong family history of breast cancer, the recommended age is younger.

We are looking for occult breast cancers that cannot be found on physical exam and these are so uncommon in younger patients  that screening is not recommended.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.