Mammogram before BA???

Do I need to get a mmogram before I get implants and a lift??

Should I get a mammogram before an augmentation?

+2

My answer is slightly different than the preceding ones.  Unless there is a family history of breast cancer or a personal history of breast problems such as cysts or fibromas, I do not request a mammogram in women under the age of 35.  The possibilities of finding abnormalities is extremely low so I do not feel that the extra cost and radiation exposure is justified in most cases.  Ultrasounds are a poor screening tool for breast cancer so they are not going to be a good substitute for mammograms.  A post-operative mammogram to establish a new baseline is reasonable but perhaps not for younger women, again for the same reason.  I do not think that there are any absolutely correct answers to this question so you will have to decide for yourself what your comfort level is after speaking to your surgeon about this issue.

When is a mammogram needed before breast augmentation?

+1

There has been a lot of controversy about the timing of mammograms in the news today.  Some experts believe that mammograms should be performed later and not done as frequently as the current guidelines.   Implants will alter the appearance of a mammogram and a preoperative screening mammogram may be of benefit to the radiologists reading future mammograms.  I have seen patients diagnosed with breast cancer with normal exams via routine screening mammograms.  I always discuss the pros and cons of this study prior to surgery.  Women age 35 and higher should have a screening test.  Women with family history need an indepth discussion of this issue as well as a screening mammogram.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram and breast surgery

+1

If there is no personal history of breast problems and no family history of breast cancer I recomend a mammogram only  on women 35 and older. A new baseline mammogram is then done 6-12 mos. post op. 

Mammogram before BA

+1

I have similar requirements as my peers.  I require that all patients over the age of 35 have had a mammogram in the last year.  I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before BA???

+1

Radiologists and cancer specialists argue about the age at which women should have mammograms. It is no surprise that plastic surgeons do as well.

I routinely ask women 40 years of age and older to have screening mammograms before any breast surgery.

Younger patients are referred for imaging if there is an increased risk of breast cancer based on personal or family history.

If indicated I send women for baseline mammograms at 9 months following surgery. This is long enough to allow most of the healing to occur, without waiting so long that there is a possibility of a new growth appearing during this interval.

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, breast implants

+1
I require a mammogram for all patients over 35 years of age. If the patient has had a mammogram but it has been more than one year they will need another.

Web reference: Http://www.drabramson.com

Mammogram and Breast Augmentetion

+1

It is always a good idea to get a mammogram before any breast surgery. Though we rarely find anything, when we do, it allows us to plan proper care before we are in surgery. I have found Breast Cancer in a young patient having Augmentation. It is also a good idea to get another between 6 months and a year after surgery as a baseline for later. If you have no symptoms now, the initial mammogram is a screening one. Post operatively, because you have had something done to your breasts, all mammograms need to be "diagnostic" ones. By doing so, there is no problem in finding problems after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgerytoday.com/breast.php#aug

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+1

My usual recommendation for mammograms before breast augmentation would be in any women over the age of 40 or in any woman under 40 with a strong family history of breast cancer.

Web reference: http://drbottger.com/breast_implant.html

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram is needed before breast augmentation depending on age.

+1

Depending on the family history a mammogram should be done at minimum between the ages of 35 and 40 for all women Regardless of surgical procedure.

Mammograms before breast implants

+1

The need for a mammogram before breast lift, reduction or breast implants, can vary in practices. Our practice follows the current screening guidelines of the American Cancer Society with baseline mammogram at age 40, adjusted for family risk factors, and for any prior breast history.  Your family physician or OB should already be on top of your necessary routine breast health care. If you are near the age of a screening mammogram it is a good idea to have the study before your surgery as any breast procedure will delay a subsequent mammogram for six months.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-implants