Mammogram before BA???

Do I need to get a mmogram before I get implants and a lift??

Should I get a mammogram before an augmentation?

+2

My answer is slightly different than the preceding ones.  Unless there is a family history of breast cancer or a personal history of breast problems such as cysts or fibromas, I do not request a mammogram in women under the age of 35.  The possibilities of finding abnormalities is extremely low so I do not feel that the extra cost and radiation exposure is justified in most cases.  Ultrasounds are a poor screening tool for breast cancer so they are not going to be a good substitute for mammograms.  A post-operative mammogram to establish a new baseline is reasonable but perhaps not for younger women, again for the same reason.  I do not think that there are any absolutely correct answers to this question so you will have to decide for yourself what your comfort level is after speaking to your surgeon about this issue.

Mammogram before breast augmentation?

+1
Dear Mustangrl,Thank you for your post. In general, I follow the patient's gynecologists guidelines for mammograms which is commonly to start at age 40. While getting a mammogram earlier is not a requirement for surgery, it is not harmful either. 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer so it is a valuable but not perfect screening tool. I would talk it over with your surgeon and find what you both agree with.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  This a great question, which is often asked by patients.  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders. 

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, with breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  I typically recommend a preoperative mammogram prior to breast surgery, since the architecture of the breast will change.  But, it will be your choice.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society), and annually thereafter.  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.  Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

When is a mammogram needed before breast augmentation?

+1

There has been a lot of controversy about the timing of mammograms in the news today.  Some experts believe that mammograms should be performed later and not done as frequently as the current guidelines.   Implants will alter the appearance of a mammogram and a preoperative screening mammogram may be of benefit to the radiologists reading future mammograms.  I have seen patients diagnosed with breast cancer with normal exams via routine screening mammograms.  I always discuss the pros and cons of this study prior to surgery.  Women age 35 and higher should have a screening test.  Women with family history need an indepth discussion of this issue as well as a screening mammogram.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram and breast surgery

+1

If there is no personal history of breast problems and no family history of breast cancer I recomend a mammogram only  on women 35 and older. A new baseline mammogram is then done 6-12 mos. post op. 

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Mammogram before BA

+1

I have similar requirements as my peers.  I require that all patients over the age of 35 have had a mammogram in the last year.  I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before BA???

+1

Radiologists and cancer specialists argue about the age at which women should have mammograms. It is no surprise that plastic surgeons do as well.

I routinely ask women 40 years of age and older to have screening mammograms before any breast surgery.

Younger patients are referred for imaging if there is an increased risk of breast cancer based on personal or family history.

If indicated I send women for baseline mammograms at 9 months following surgery. This is long enough to allow most of the healing to occur, without waiting so long that there is a possibility of a new growth appearing during this interval.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation, breast implants

+1
I require a mammogram for all patients over 35 years of age. If the patient has had a mammogram but it has been more than one year they will need another.

David L. Abramson, MD

Mammogram and Breast Augmentetion

+1

It is always a good idea to get a mammogram before any breast surgery. Though we rarely find anything, when we do, it allows us to plan proper care before we are in surgery. I have found Breast Cancer in a young patient having Augmentation. It is also a good idea to get another between 6 months and a year after surgery as a baseline for later. If you have no symptoms now, the initial mammogram is a screening one. Post operatively, because you have had something done to your breasts, all mammograms need to be "diagnostic" ones. By doing so, there is no problem in finding problems after surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+1

My usual recommendation for mammograms before breast augmentation would be in any women over the age of 40 or in any woman under 40 with a strong family history of breast cancer.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon