Ask a doctor

Mammaplasty w/o Keflex - Will I Be Okay?

I already have small breat implants (225cc), but they are sagging again so i am getting the vertical line lift. I do not have enough money to by the prescribed keflex, what is the likelihood of me turning out ok or not ok with out the keflex? Please let me know, I am really worried but i have no choice.

Doctor Answers (8)

Breasts Augmentation and Antibiotics?

+1

Although you  will likely be okay without the “prophylactic” antibiotics,  they will be in your best interests to find a way to purchase these relatively inexpensive drugs.

Best wishes.


San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 701 reviews

Cannot afford antibiotics for breast lift revision surgery

+1

I am very confused. This medication can cost 10 USD at Walmart. If you cannot afford this, how can you afford surgery? What if a complication occurs and you need more surgery or encounter other expenses.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Antibiotics for surgery

+1

I would follow your surgeons instructions, do not think short term think long term.  Do not be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Steven Wallach, MD
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

You might also like...

Antibiotics after Surgery

+1

Keflex is very cheap.  Some supermarket pharmacies even have an extremely reduced cost antibiotics.  if it is impossible for you to get  the antibiotics your outcome will most likely be fine.

Dr.  ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Penny Wise and Pound Foolish in Complying with standard Breast Augmentation Preparation

+1

Regarding: "Mammaplasty w/o Keflex - Will I Be Okay?
I already have small breat implants (225cc), but they are sagging again so i am getting the vertical line lift. I do not have enough money to by the prescribed keflex, what is the likelihood of me turning out ok or not ok with out the keflex? Please let me know, I am really worried but i have no choice
"

I hope you do not take my comments as a personal attack but I am REALLY concerned about you and would like to save you a lot of misery.

" I HAVE NO CHOICE"...SO i am getting the vertical line lift" . First - OF COURSE you have a choice. Last ti,e I checked having sagging breasts was not a life threatening condition.  Unlike an arrow stuck in your chest, a gunshot wound to the head or a ruptured appendix, sagging breasts is a common condition which harmlessly afflicts over 90% of women over the age of 40 (and I am lying about the other 10% to avoid being beat up by my female patients who happen to read this response).

You obviously saved to have the breast lift BUT are willing to risk suffering an infection which MAY spread to the implants forcing their removal or worse, potentially even threaten your life, because you cannot afford the small amount of money GENERIC cephalexin sells for. Do you have any idea how expensive treating an infection may be?

I strongly advise you to reconsider and either postpone your surgery or at least share this information with your surgeon.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 59 reviews

Antibiotics following mammaplasty

+1

Not all surgeons provide antibiotics following mammaplasty.  It is my practice to do so.  You will invest significantly in your breasts, so the money involved in attaining the antibiotics is small.  Both Target and Walmart have keflex as part of their $4 prescription drug plan.  If this $4 saves your implants from a poor outcome, I think it is a no brainer.

Jason R. Hess, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Mammaplasty w/o Keflex

+1

I agree with Dr Kavali, You should buy the generic Keflex otherwise CANCEL the operation. I'm sure your surgeon will not do your operation under these circumstances. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Surgery is more than just the actual procedure

+1

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what's going on here. You have enough money to pay for an elective cosmetic procedure, but can't come up with a VERY small amount of additional money for your ANTIBIOTICS?  Generic keflex costs less than $10! 

You'll probably be fine without antibiotics after this particular surgery, but imagine the added costs if you do develop an infection or a capsular contracture?  What will you do about those costs?

Surgery is an investment in yourself. Don't sell youself short.

Carmen Kavali, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.