Is It Okay to Do Ulthera on a Face That Might Be a Bit Swollen?

1) I had chin, jaw and lateral cheekbone reduction done 2 months ago. My surgeon is not familiar with Ulthera so he can't advise. I might have some residual swelling on my face due to these surgical procedures. Is it okay to do Ulthera on a face that might have some residual swelling? 2) how many days or weeks do I have to wait after Ulthera before starting to work out again? I want t get the best result possible and don't want to compromise a good outcome from Ulthera. Thanks

Ultherapy for the neck area - Los Angeles

+1

Ulthera would be suitable at this stage of your healing. Ulthera addresses the underlying collagen fascia and helps tighten and stimulate the layer with microfocused ultrasound. It is great for the neck and lower face. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Ultherapy after facial surgery and swelling

+1

I suggest allowing as much swelling to resolve itself prior to performing Ultherapy so that the energy is targeting the deeper layers. The swelling may increase the distance between the skin and the depth of the targeted layer of dermis making it extend beyond the reach of transducer. It may also minimize the amount of heat that is generated in the dermal collagen. If this is the case, then there may be less new collagen formation.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ulthera On Swelling Face

+1

It can take up to a full year for the residual swelling from a facelift or chin/jaw/cheekbone reduction to resolve.  I wouldn't recommend doing Ulthera if someone's face is swollen.  It might alter the depths that are trying to be targeted, such as the SMAS layer (which is the fibromuscular layer that contributes to the lifting one sees from treatment) and it can also alter the anatomy in certain areas, increasing one's risk for nerve injury.  Also, there is some swelling that can result from treatment, that would just add to the baseline swelling already present. I would at least wait 6 months and be evaluated by someone experienced in doing the procedure.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Best to wait until there is no more facial swelling for Ultherapy

+1

Because Ultherapy is based on focused ultrasound, any swelling will change the "focal point" depth and could challenge best results.

The energy is preset to focus at different depths. If you have residual swelling, then that normal thickness of your facial tissue is temporarily altered.

Ultherapy is not inexpensive, so the best advice is to wait until you are fairly certain your swelling has completely subsided.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist