Male, 40: Ready for a Facelift? (photo)

39 yrs old: The last few years I have started to feel that I look a bit tired when I am in fact rested. I find it difficult to pinpoint the cause. However, I can tell that my face has begun to sack; the left side drooping a bit more than the right. Am I a candidate for a lift or any other tweeks to help me regain a more refreshed look? I have had no prior surgery and I am cautious to avoid surgery to my upper eyelids or forehead as I find these procedures to cause a loss of facial masculinity.

Mid Face Fillers Good Option For Early Male Face Aging

+2

Thank you for your question and photograph. You are young, masculine looking and I agree you should avoid incisions.

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers such as Perlane can restore the apple cheeks of youth, improve the loss of mid face volume and give you a nice result.

Consult an experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Consider Non-Invasive procedures first

+2
Hi there, after looking at your photo I would encourage you to consider a non-invasive skin tightening procedure that can lift and tighten the "tired" areas of your face without surgery. Ulthera is a new non-surgicial alternative the to the face lift many of my patients in their late 30's, 40's and even 50's are having to stave off the necessity of having a full or partial facelift at that particular time. I think you could also benefit from various skin peels/laser treatments that will "freshen" the surface of the skin, thus restoring the look of youth. Many of my patients find that the Ulthera skin tightening procedure done in sequence with skin treatments provides significant long lasting results that can ultimately delay the need to have a surgical face/brow/eye procedure by at least several years. I have included a link to more information about facial options below.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Blepharoplasty will give biggest bang for the buck.

+2

I agree with both Drs. Fleming and Nichter that the photo submitted does not appear to warrant a facelift. Perhaps a little filler (Restylane or Juvederm, etc) to the upper nasolabial folds to the cheek/mouth junction would soften this area. Even with the eyes blanked out it appears that there is some fullness of the eyelid that would allow a well-rested appearance without the feminization effect that can happen with a brow lift that is over-corrected in some men. I tell my patients with the concern of being told they look tired that blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) gives the biggest bang for the buck.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

​Facelift for a Younger Male

+1

Facelift in a male patient is usually performed when there are signs of tissue droop in the face, cheek or the neck. In a younger male patient there are other surgical maneuvers that can be performed to recreate a more youthful look, and still retain masculine features. In your particular case it appears that the cheeks have become a bit more hollow, creating an older and tired look. This can be corrected with a fat grafting procedure or one of the dedicated filler injections. Seek out an experienced and skilled surgeon that can properly assess your needs and expertly performed the needed procedure.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 39

+1

Although a photo provides limited information, Facelift would not be on the top of my list for recommended procedures for you (at this particular time).  I would most likely suggest volume replenishment to the mid-facial area with Scupltra, possibly combined with minimally invasive lower facial tightening via Ultherapy. Facelift is a wonderful procedure given appropriate indications.  Without appropriate indications, results are likely to be underwhelming and expectations unmet.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 40

+1

For some people at 40, a face and neck lift may be reasonable, but you will not benefit much from the surgery at this point.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

40's and a facelift for a male

+1

Based on your pictures, I would not consider a face lift. I would consider filling and fat grafting. There are some procedures that can lift your face without incisions. We call them incision less face lift alternatives.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male refreshing surgery

+1

II wrote about male plastic surgery for Forbes magazine and male lower eyelid bags is your number one and conservative upper eyelid surgery (not like Kenny Rogers or Bruce Jenner)

is your number two.A neck lift for you or a good liposuction of the neck is also recommended.I don't have a side view but it appears your chn is weak and a chin implant to eend it may help. I am only surmisng since I don't have any more views of you to analyze theis thoroughly

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Facelift ate forty?

+1

If you were to come into my office I think I would recommend avoiding a facelift at this point.  But I think a well done subcilliarly lower bleph with modest upper cheek lift and a conservative upper bleph would brighten up your appearance without looking overdone

Go to the gallery section of my website

look at the facelifts

look at the Male patient -while he had a facelift, what I would like you to focus on is his eyes

he had an upper/lower bleph

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Cadidate?

+1

Based on the photograph, surgery does not seem like your best option. Dermal fillers, a minimally invasive nonsurgical treatment, or a procedure such as blepharoplasty may be better alternatives for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS