How Does Male Rhinoplasty Masculinize Your Face?

I was born with a button nose with a thin bridge. My nose is so feminine that I get mistaken for a female. Obviously, that makes me upset. I have been doing research on the subject of masculinization surgery. One of the things they work on is the nose. Can you please tell the difference between a male vs a female nose and also tell me how a rhinoplasty can make the face look more masculine? Thank you.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Male Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Good question.  The bottom line is "the nose must fit the face."  In your case, you need an augmentative rhinoplasty much as in a situation of a revision where a plastic surgeon made a nose too small and now it must be built back up or as in the case of some Asian patients with small noses needing augmentation of the height and projection of the nose.

The most important thing is to choose a surgeon who can show you a fairly realistic surgical plan using computer imaging so you dont have to guess what you may look like.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can masculinize your nose

+3

usually, a higher bridge and wider nose makes a person look more masculine. also, the angle of the nasal tip in relationship to the upper lip can make a big difference. for example, when the nasal tip is pushed up it makes the nose more feminine.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/p_nose.htm

Masculine Rhinoplasty

+2

The nose, male or female, should be in proportion to the surrounding facial features. The male nose usually has a stronger profile line with greater prominence of the bridge, a wider nose, and greater tip projection with a 90 degree angle with the upper lip.  

Augmentation versus Reduction Rhinoplasty:

+1

The prototypical male nose has a strong prominent dorsum with a projecting tip that makes a 90 degree angle with the upper lip. Accomplishing this in your case would esssentially consist of an augmentation rhinoplasty (adding material such as septum, ear or rib cartilage grafts) to the tip and bridge as opposed to a more common reduction rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/facial-surgery-chicago/nose-reshaping/

Male Rhinoplasty Masculinize Your Face

+1

Interesting question, I agree with Dr Younai's posting. But a photo posted would be helpful. See 3 boarded surgeons in person in C-Town. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091