Male Rhinoplasty and Too Drastic of a Change to Accept?

Hi, I had male rhinoplasty 3 years ago and initially was very happy with result (until swelling went down and my nose became very small). My nose looks fine to 10 out of 10 other people but I have not been able to accept the radical change from my native nose. This has led to tension headaches caused by the stress and much depression. my question is, are there any medications that may help me accept the change? i have already tried therapy but will ssri's help address this issue?

Accepting New Nose #nosejob

+2

I think it is great that 10/10 people like your nose, but of course the only one that matters is you. I do not know if medication will help you or not. You would need to ask your therapist about that. It is hard to say if the conversation you had with your surgeon conveyed what you wanted or not. Most likely you will get used to your nose over time, but if you do not then you should seek an opinion about revision surgery if it is possible to re-create what you are looking for.

Changing a Native Nose

+2

Many thanks for the question. A strong native or family nose when changed its hard to adopt .I inform this to all my patients in great detail and perform surgery when they have really understood the issue. In your case depression and headache is a sign for seeking help from physicians to help your mind waves that is disturbing you. Its very hard for some patents to come out of thinking about their nose for 2 to 3 years after surgery even when result is as good as 95 %.I have many such patients and all I can do is to do a counseling .You can have a counseling session booked with a local Psychiatrist if that you think is appropriate to do.

Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Unhappiness after rhinoplasty surgery

+2

I am so sorry that you are unhappy and apparently depressed. It may be hard to accept this but there may actually be some other underlying cause of these feelings, especially because it sounds like your surgery turned out well, at least according to others. I would stick with seeking out therapy and they will usually supplement this with medications that may be helpful. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon and let that person know how you feel, but I would suggest that you move very slowly before entertaining anymore cosmetic surgery of any kind. Good Luck 

Adjusting to nose

+2

There is usually some degree of adjustment that goes along with rhinoplasty, especially if done later in life.  The fact that 10/10 people think your nose looks OK should be reassuring

+1

It's sad when a Rhinoplasty patient gets a good result and is still unhappy.  You might want to have a discussion with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon and see if you can get a referral.  

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com/Rhinoplasty.html

+1

If 10 out of 10 other people think your nose looks fine and you don't then you will have to look within for an answer.  Altering the mid line structures of males can cause a great deal of distress. Please discuss this problem with your plastic surgeon and if necessary you may need to undergo a revision.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Male Rhinoplasty and Too Drastic a Change

+1

I would think about a revision rhinoplasty.  This may be appropriate after treatment for the depression.  Medications dispensed for depression should be done by a psychiatrist.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com

Accepting the change after rhinoplasty

+1

Cosmetic surgery should produce lasting changes for the better and it is encouraging that everyone you ask or trust feels your nose looks great. Depression, or regrets after a cosmetic procedure, are serious issues that should not be ignored. Your should discuss things with your surgeon, and continue with professional care for your depression. Those who seek cosmetic surgery as a solution to depression most often find the problem lies elsewhere.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty