Male nose- What are my options to help fix my tension nose/crowded upper lip and also the dorsal hump/crooked septum? (photos)

I am a young male who is interested to see what my options are to help fix some of the problems with my nose. As you can see in the pictures, I'm pretty sure I have some form of crowded upper lip/tension nose due to a large anterior nasal spine. It is also somewhat crooked which causes my smile line wrinkles to be uneven. As I'm sure is the case with other male patients, I am interested to see what can be done without giving my nose an operated look/drastically changing its appearance.Thanks!

Male rhinoplasty for dorsal hump removal and deviated septum repair

+2
The septoplasty procedure involves removal of twisted cartilage and bone the back of the nose for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics through the nose.
The rhinoplasty procedure would involve changing the shape of the nose for cosmetic purposes which would include dorsal hump reduction by shaving down the cartilage and bony hump, medial and lateral  osteotomies will straighten and narrow the nasal bones. Trimming the nasal spine will also help de-project the nose and tuck the  columella upwards and inwards. Also important to release the depressor septi ligament which pulls the tip downwards when smiling.

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose etc.

+2
Rhinoplasty for crooked nose etc. can be done for all the problems u mentioned. The key to having a natural result is to choose a surgeon who does natural noses and talk to his live patients. 

Tension nose male rhinoplasty

+1
Rhinoplasty surgery can correct the deformities that you are noticing about your nose. Avoidance of an operated look is a given goal of any rhinoplasty. Computer imaging can help delineate your priorities and show how your nose would appear after the operation. Specific to the base of your nose and its relationship to the lip and smile - this can be corrected with septal shaping and repositioning as well as modification of nasal tip cartilages. Details can be addressed during your consultation.

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Male Nose Rhinoplasty Decisions

+1
  • Your second picture from the left shows a nice side profile view and well shaped tip-- not to much to do, if anything!.
  • It appears from the first photo that on smiling the tip plunges. This can be corrected with common tip rhinoplasty procedures.
  • Regarding your diagnosis of a "tension nose" or enlarged anterior nasal spine, it seems you are well-versed in some very specific anatomical terms. 
  • Though it is always tough to tell from photos only, if any thing, I would focus on a small dorsal reduction and tip support and shaping.  This will give you a subtle result with drastic changes.  I would recommend against bone removal at the base of the nose unless the problem is profoundly noticeable.

Michael Suzman, MD

Options to Fix My Nose

+1
All of the undesirable nasal characteristics you mention can be reduced or eliminated if you have surgery by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. As you stated, it is very important that you achieve a natural, non-surgical appearance.

Male nose- What are my options to help fix my tension nose/crowded upper lip and also the dorsal hump/crooked septum?

+1
All of these goals can be achieved through a closed rhinoplasty approach without a visible scar to produce a natural result.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

+1
Based on your photos, you appear to be a candidate for Rhinoplasty.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your concerns and expectations. Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD