Male Monsplasty or Mons Liposuction or Both? Local or General Anesthesia? Cost?

I had a belt lipectomy in July 2011. The abdomnioplasty portion did lift the mons a bit but it is still slightly puffy and elevated below the scar line compared to my now tight abdomen. When I lay on my side, my abdomen is tight, but the mons is puffy and sags and looks like aged skin. While standing it just looks a bit puffy but no wrinkles. What mons reduction method would wok best, can it be done under local anesthesia and what is the cost range for the procedures you might suggest? Thx!

Male Monsplasty or Mons Liposuction or Both? Local or General Anesthesia?

+1

I think form what you are describing that a surgical reduction of the mons would be better than just liposuction. If you are pretty calm I think local anesthesia could be used and costs will depend on the surgeon as prices are not standardized.

Revision mons pubis

+1

This is something that likely can be revised through your previous belt lipectomy incision. Return to your plastic surgeon to discuss revision. You will likely get a break since you are a return customer but I can't speak for your plastic surgeon.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Secondary Monsplasty After Belt Lipectomy

+1

The residual mons issue is a problem after most abdominal reshaping procedures in the bariatric surgery patient. The hanging mons never gets adequately lifted or reduced in most partial or complete belt lipectomy procedures. While you have not shown a photo of the problem, most likely it will require some form of a lift rather than fat reduction alone to get the best result and to have greater penile show. The mons or pubic lift may need to be combioned with liposuction in some patients. These monsplasty procedures are best done under general anesthesia so it can be adequately treated in a comfortable fashion.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Mons plasty

+1

This is one of the troublesome areas for patients after massive weight loss. When I mark the patients prior to the surgery, I lift the mons and shorten its length.  Sometimes it also needs a vertical incison to reduce the width.

Belt lipectomy revision

+1

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what would be best for you. The options range from revision surgery under general anesthesia to liposuction under local anesthesia. It will depend on the amount of lax skin vs. excess fat. The most cost effective option is for you to return to your original surgeon and see what he or she says. Sometimes these procedures need a little fine tuning that does not mean you or your surgeon did anything bad.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Male Mons Reduction

+1

Without a formal examination and evaluation, it is hard to offer specific recommendations. However, based on the information provided, an excision may be better. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Mons Liposuction or Excision?

+1

The procedure that will work best in this area will depend on the quality of skin elasticity of the mons area. Based on your description of “sagging and aged” I think you will likely benefit from some excision of extra skin plus or minus some liposuction surgery. Depending on the patient this can be done under local or general  anesthesia. Costs will vary from region to region,  from one surgeon to another,  and dependent on the facility and/or anesthesia costs.

It will be in your best interests  to meet with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.