Male, interested in malar cheek implants due to considerable deficiency in the malar area

1. Do you perform this procedure under local anesthesia? Is this a good idea?
2. Placement: do you find it necessary to make another incision apart from the intraoral one to position the implant? (lower eyelid, temple?) With the silicione types, do you find it necessary to srew it in place?
3. How often do you perceive asymmetry with this type?
4. What price can I expect for the off-the-shelf type that may need to be customized to my needs during surgery?

Cheek augmentation

+1
In our practice cheek implants are performed under  a brief general anesthesia for patient safety and comfort. We used Silastic preformed implants and do not screw them in. The majority of cases do not shift, move or  migrate.   For many examples  and our price list please see link below

Malar augmentation with implants

+1

Malar augmentation with implants can be performed with a variety of anesthesia techniques.  The decision is dependent on the surgeon and patient.  I normally perform this procedure with IV sedation and local anesthesia and find this is fine for most patients.  I only use the intraoral incision for placement and do not need another incision.  I do not screw the implant in place but do secure the implant to a bolster for 3 days.  Whenever implants are placed on both sides of the face, there is always the possibility of asymmetry.  Normally, if there is any asymmetry, it is very minor and not something that is noticeable to the casual observer.  Prices will vary by surgeon.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon