Male Diastasis Recti Repair? (photo)

Hi. I am a 64 year old male recently diagnosed with diastasis recti, which appears to be at the3 to 4 inch range. The physical therapist some exercises to do and the surgeon advised to "lose some weight". Now my question is, could the diastasis be a result of constipation (pushing has been severe at times) , considering I've had the problem since I was a child, and not necessarily due to obesity? Will I be able to repair this by exercise and weight loss, or is this just false hope?

Male Diastasis Recti Repair?

+1

Nice personal photo but of no real value. Seek in person opinions and care from GI docs and ONLY surgery can repair a severe diastasis. 

Male diatasis it is not a herniae

+1

if you follow wining weight this problem could be a herniae, exercises and diet help to avoid to convert it.avoid utilizing phsiculturism lifting extra weights, better choose dancing, pilates, yoga,,swiming and  some  abdominal jobs

so the problem it is not  serious at this moment and definetely it is not related to constipation.

of course if this worries to you may be operated on and corrected

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Male diastasis rectus

+1

If your rectus muscles have been stretched out, then surgery would be required to repair them.  Exercise and weight loss will have no effect on a diastasis.  I would defer to the gastroenderologists as to the effect of chronic constipation on this condition, although I sincerely doubt it.

Robert L. Kraft, MD