Get Rid of Man Boobs

I am 49-year-old male with a woman's breasts. They droop and are heavy for me to carry. My life is steadily declining because of my embarassment. What can I do? Please help.

Gynecomastia treatment in Los Angeles

+2

Gynecomastia is very common in Los Angeles as well as throughout the untied states. In los Angeles gynecomastia is treated with a combination of liposuction and male breast gland excision.

Gynecomastia is more common than you think. Surgery can correct it.

+2

Gynecomastia, or male enlarged breasts, is a condition that is rarely talked about, though it's actually quite common. Gynecomastia affects an estimated 40 to 60 percent of men. It may affect only one breast or both.

Liposuction to used to remove fat and or glandular tissue from the breasts, and in many cases excess skin is also removed, resulting in a chest that is flatter, firmer, and better contoured.

This procedure could be a good option for you if you:

* Are physically healthy and of relatively normal weight
* Have realistic expectations
* Are not experiencing further breast development
* Are bothered by the feeling that their breasts are too large

I am attaching a link to an informative podcast produced by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons specifically for men considering surgery for correction of Gynecomastia. In this podcast, you will hear a fellow ASPS member surgeon discussing the causes of gynecomastia and courses of treatment, as well as his patient, Matthew, describing how he coped with his condition before surgery and his post-surgical outlook on life. I hope you find it helpful.

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia Surgery for You - Make Sure to Have a Consultation with a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon

+1

Gynecomastia can occur in several forms. In some cases known as glandular gynecomastia there may actually be growth of the breast tissue. In other cases there may be diffuse fatty tissue and in some cases there may be a combination of both types of tissue.

The differentiation of glandular gynecomastia from diffuse fatty gynecomastia is extremely important for several reasons. Not only is the cause of these conditions different, but they require different treatments as well.

In the majority of patients physical examination by a plastic surgeon can differentiate these conditions. When glandular tissue is present, there is firmness which is not present with fatty tissue. In rare cases, radiographic studies, ultrasound or MRI studies may be necessary for this differentiation. This is important because treatment may vary depending upon the specific type of gynecomastia which is present.

When glandular tissue is present surgical excision is usually necessary. This is usually accomplished through a peri-areolar incision. The breast tissue is first separated from the skin and subcutaneous tissue. Once this is accomplished the breast tissue is separated from the underlying muscles and removed as a single unit.

When the breast tissue is predominately made of fat, liposuction can be utilized. This technique involves passing a canula through the breast tissue repeatedly while suction is applied to the canula. Cores of fat are removed and the area is effectively sculpted.

In some cases glandular and fatty components are present and combination procedures are necessary. Following surgery patients wear a compression garment for four to six weeks. This helps remodel the tissue and minimizes complications.

It’s important to realize that no two patients are alike and treatment should be individualized. If you’re concerned about gynecomastia, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction Treats Gynecomastia

+1

Men who suffer from gynecomastia, the medical term for enlarged male breasts, can undergo male breast reduction to produce a flat, more masculine chest. Male breast reduction surgery removes excess fat, glandular tissue, and loose skin that surrounds the breast area through excision and/or liposuction. Contact a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in male plastic surgery to schedule a consultation.

David Whiteman, MD

You need Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia Reduction)

+1

Yes, " Man Boobs" can be corrected. 

Here is some basic information for you:

Candidates for Surgery
Gynecomastia or breast enlargement in men can be corrected by a variety of plastic surgical techniques. This condition often creates a psychological poor self perception and many males of all ages do not take their shirts off because of this stigma. Candidates are men who have over-developed or enlarged breasts which may occur as the result of hormonal changes or hereditary conditions.

Candidates are healthy men, whose condition cannot be corrected through exercise, weight reduction or other non-surgical treatments.  Appropriate preconditions for surgery are the stabilization of breast development (no further breast enlargement) and localized areas of excess breast tissue and fat.

Intended Result
The procedure intends to reduce the breast size and redundant breast tissue to enhance the contours of the chest.  The surgery often reduces physical discomfort associated with the area, as well as physiological and emotional dissatisfaction with the area.

Procedure Description
General, Intravenous or local anesthesia are used for this procedure depending on the severity and type of procedure(s) selected by your plastic surgeon. It is performed on an outpatient basis.  For males with very large breasts staged procedures (more than one procedure) may be required. For example, the first procedure may be liposuction, then several weeks to months later after skin contraction has occurred, a separate procedure is done to remove excess skin. By doing a staged procedure, often the final scars are less.

Oftentimes, specific types of liposuction cannulas are used and often in conjunction with direct removal of excess breast glandular tissue through small incisions for mild to moderate gynecomastia. Other specific techniques can reduce the areola when needed or reposition the nipple to create the appearance of a more natural contour.

Post-Operative Healing
Minimal gauze dressing is applied following the procedure and an easily concealed support elastic garment is usually worn to minimize swelling and help skin to contract for a 3-4 weeks following surgery.  Sutures are typically removed within 7 to 10 days of surgery.

Patients engage in gentle activities of daily living for the first 10 days.  No aerobic exercise for at least 3 weeks.  Patients may take gentle walks after 10 days.

After the initial healing, gentle massage will help reduce discomfort or firmness.

Risks of Surgery
The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure may be determined at the time of your consultation with Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery.  All surgical procedures have some degree of risk; major complications associated with this procedure are uncommon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

Gynecomastia refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that seek consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

Surgery works best for male breasts

+1

Gynecomastia is very common and surgery works best for it. It can be embarrassing, but the surgery is the only reliable treatment. N. Huq

Nasimul Huq, MD
Niagara Falls Plastic Surgeon

Male Chest Contouring

+1

Surgical treatment of male breast tissue (gynecomastia) is one of the most popular cosmetic operations requested by men. We operate on male breasts of all sizes and shapes. The preferred treatment depends on the size and quality of the breast skin.

If the skin is youthful and has good skin tone then liposuction will almost always yield a good result. It's possible to remove over a pound per side in some cases.

Those with larger breasts may need more than liposuction to remove excess fat, breast tissue, and skin. While some surgeons use the same techniques that they use on women, I feel those techniques sometimes give a projecting conical breast mound. The objective should be just the opposite - to produce a flat, non-projecting breast. Therefore, I use a different technique for men.

Consider gynecomastia to stop your embarassment and get back to living life. Most men can resume full activity after two weeks, when the sutures have been removed. You'll be asked to wear a tight vest for 6 weeks to help swelling but there is usually very little bruising. Those that need open surgery (liposuction plus excision) will have scars on the chest, which will remain pink for months, before finally fading to the color of the surrounding skin.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Male Breast Reduction

+1

Please know that you are not alone. Many men suffer with your same concerns. The good news is that this can be corrected and you can begin to live your life again. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns and learn about the risks and benefits of the recommended treatment. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon