Male Breast Reduction with or Without Lipo on Abdomen to Improve Chest Appearance?

25 male, lost almost 70 lbs over past 10 years with diet/exercise. I'm pretty fit, but don't like the way my upper body looks. I recently visited a surgeon who said I could expect to see good results with gynecomastia surgery, but that abdominal liposuction wouldn't help that much since it's mainly skin (and not so much fat). Is there a way to estimate how much is fat vs skin? Any other option to take care of my abdomen without having to do a tummy tuck?

Gynecomastia and Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

+1

These procedures are commonly done together. It sounds like your surgeon has given you good advice. If you are unsure I recommend a second opinion by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. It is hard to give an opinion without photos or an exam. Liposuction alone will most likely leave you with more loose skin and the only way to reduce that would be a tummy tuck. Good Luck.

Male breast reduction results can be improved with correction of the prominent abdomen

+1

Male breast reduction at times, is only part of the surgical correction. While the chest will  be much more masculine looking after corrective surgery, if the abdomen is enlarged or has a lot of extra skin the resultscan be compromised. In that situation it is advisable to do correct the abdomen by whatever technique is appropriate, whether it be liposuction or gynecomasta. This will lead to a better balance and rpoportion of the chest and abdomen

George Lefkovits, MD

Massive weiight loss followed by gynecomastia and loose abdominal skin

+1

With a 70 pound weight loss, it sounds as if your surgeon is telling you the truth. Your abdomen will probably get the best result with a tummy tuck. If you go to a surgeon that recommends a laser or some other less invasive method of treating the abdomen, my guess is that you will not be happy. There are no magic tricks to make skin shrink If there were, we would not have to perform face lifts, breast lifts, eyelid tucks, etc.

Options for improvement of the male abdomen after weight loss

+1

Hi there-

Of course, the only way to be able to definitively advise you would be to examine you- without an in person exam, it is not possible to estimate the relative proportions of fat and skin for you, nor to make a responsible recommendation for a surgical procedure likely to give you a pleasing outcome.

If your excess is truly mostly skin (which would be expected given your current level of fitness and your significant weight loss), you will eventually need to consider some kind of an abdominoplasty procedure. Please don't be fooled by false promises of skin tightening being made by manufacturer's of machines or the irresponsible and marginally ethical physicians who aggressively market them.

There is no such thing as "non-invasive skin tightening".

If there is excess fat, suction may help you, but an exam is necessary.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Male breast reduction surgery with abdominal liposuction

+1

In our practice, it is very common for our male patients to receive liposuction of the abdomen or abdominal etching at the same time as their gynecomastia surgery. This allows the patient to create a more sculpted look throughout their chest and trunk. When considering the surgery be sure to discuss your aesthetic goals with many surgeons and view photographs to determine that your surgeon is well experienced with this procedure

Pat Pazmino, MD

Thickness of fat

+1

The best way to estimate the amount of fat under the skin is the PINCH test.

How much can you pich.

If you do not trust the advise and decision of your plastic surgeon then find another BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON and get another expert opinion

Male Body Contouring AFTER large Weight Loss

+1

There is no verbal substitute that comes close to the information provided by a single well taken photograph. In the absence of any visual (and obviously tactile examination) data, all my comments can only be general in nature.

Large weight loss patients pose specific challenges to plastic surgeons. While they are healthy and well-motivated their skin has been irreversibly damaged by stretching and as a result will NOT respond to any currently known non-surgical skin toning modality or treatment. No exercise, laser, pill, supplement, laser, IPL, roller, massage can come close much less replace a well designed and customized surgical removal of the damaged loose skin.

The desperate undergoing of "anything but surgery" treatments will always prove BOTH expensive and disappointing.

If you want to unveil and have the body you worked so hard to obtain, have body contouring surgery. The vast majority of people we operate on uniformly comment that they wish they would have done it sooner rather than wasting money on other "treatments".

Good Luck.

Male breast reduction with or without lipo on abdomen.

+1

Yes, the best way to evaluate the skin vs fat in an area is to go see a PS in consultation. Over the net without posting any photos would at best be a guess.