Male Breast Reduction or Chest Implants - Which is Best to Enhance Chest?

I want my chest to look bigger but I am having a hard time building up my pecs.  I've heard that guys get a breast reduction to help get rid of flab that won't go away around the nipples but I think that might end up making my chest look smaller. How do I decide between getting pec/chest implants and breast reduction? Will I still be able to build up muscle if I get the implants? Could I get both?

Male breast reduction or chest implants - which works best to enhance the chest?

+4

If for any reason a man has “fatty fullness” in the breast area, this can be reduced and contoured. Fat deposition is the main reason for male breast fullness. This excess fat can be liposuctioned and any excess breast tissue, if needed, can be excised. This is all accomplished through a one inch incision under the nipple-areola area that is barely if at all detectable.

If there is a very localized protrusion under and around the nipple-areola area and is unsightly, it can be removed with a very small incision.

If, in addition, the general pectoral contour of the chest is flat, sub pectoral implants can be placed. If this is performed it will stimulate muscular development so working out to build up this area would not be necessary.

Pec implants vs gynecomastia surgery

+2

These are two very different procedures. Pec implants are placed for men that want a more defined appearance of their muscles.  Gynecomastia surgery is performed to remove fatty or glandular tissue from the male chest.

Male Breast Reduction versus implants

+1

A male breast reduction is only useful if you have breast tissue there. I do not do chest implants but they will not firm up breast tissue if that is your goal.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Pectoral implants are a very bad idea.

+1

Hi.

1)  It's hard to be specific without knowing your precise anatomy, so here are some general points.

2)  I don't know any experienced board certified plastic surgeon in New York City who does chest or pectoral implants.  Putting in a large foreign body (  like an implant ) in an area of constant stress and motion ( like the pectoral muscles  ) is a prescriptions for long term problems ( hardening, distortion, extrusion ).

3)  It sounds like skillful male breast reduction would give you a more masculine looking chest, which of course is what men want.  It is not the size but the shape and contour of the chest that determines whether you look good.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Male breast reduction versus chest implants

+1

There are many techniques to improve the contour and appearance of the male chest. The male chest may be sculpted using liposuction or discrete amounts of fat may also be excised through a periareolar approach. Chest implants are best reserved for men that do not have excess fat in the chest. Pectoral implants often given overly sculpted appearance to the chest. It is best to discuss your concerns and your aesthetic goals at length with your plastic surgeon. An experienced surgeon will be able to review the your options with you and show you examples of what each option may provide.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Pectoral implants vs gynecomastia surgery

+1

You are talking about two totally different things. Gynecomastia surgery is indicated if you have excess breast tissue. Pectoral implant do not remove breast tissue and in patients with gynecomastia may make the deformity look worse. I read some of the other posts and while I would agree that you should try exercise first I have had a good experience with pectoral implants in general.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Male breast reduction VS male chest implants

+1

Male Breast Reduction surgery (Gynecomastia correction) would flatten any exaggerated female appearing breasts. It would NOT do anything else.

Pectoralis implants surgery involves placing flexible silicone plates (shaped like the Roman chest armor seen in the film GLADIATOR) under the chest skin. They work fairly well but are associated with enough complication to dissuade most Plastic surgeons from doing this procedure.The results I have seen appear artificial and overdone.

In the long term, you would get the best results from working out.

Male breast reduction

+1

SEE VIDEO BELOW BY CLICKING MORe:

Male pec implants are not popular for a reason. These are associated with many complications and are generally used by a relatively few number of plastic surgeons. This is not a good way to build bulk and may interfrere with body building due to the repeated flexiion of the underlying muscles.

Breast tissue removal is a great method to reduce excess breast tissue that may make the nipple more prominent or mask the underlying muscular anatomy

Gynecomastia

+1

Gynecomastia or male breast reduction has become much more popular procedure as of late. You mention that you are having difficulty developing your pectoralis muscles. Although it is hard work diet and exercise is the true answer. I would set a goal and give yourself 6 months to see a difference. There are no short cuts in life. I don't think a pectoral implant is your answer.

Robert Vitolo, MD