Male Breast Reduction - Any Way to Correct a Cross Stitch on Nipple? (photo)

9 months ago I had my gyno removed. I understand that when the doctor removes the tissue it is normally done through an incision under the areola. My doctor made the incisions on my areolas and through my nipples. I literally had crosses stitched on my areolas. Why would he use this method because now my nipples are split in two. Also is there anyway this can be corrected? I would post pics but it won't let me. The best way to describe it is it's like a torn earlobe. Are there any risks?

Split Nipples from Male Breast Reduction (Gynaecomastia Surgery)

+1

Hi Justin,

Thanks for posting these photos with your question. I am not familiar with the surgical technique that has been used for your gynaecomastia surgery, it is not a common one and I am unsure why it was used.

Your current problem of split nipples can be corrected with surgery, much like a split earlobe. It can be done under local anaesthetic (or with sedation, or with general anaesthesia) with minimal down time.

Risks? It is possible that infection, bruising, bleeding, recurrence of the problem and/or scarring may occur with nipple or skin surgery, but this is a low risk procedure.

Good luck!

JT

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Nipple incisions for gynaecomastia correction

+1

I'm not sure why your surgeon used these incisions - they're not ones I have come across. However, having been left with effectively bilobed or split nipples, you really need to know what can be done.

Depending on the nipple size, there are two options - for large nipples, the smaller one could be removed and the resultant defect stitched up. Alternatively, for small nipples, they could be stitched back together (much in the same way as a split earlobe can be stitched). Either of these could be done under local anaesthetic as an office-based procedure.

Why not discuss these with your surgeon?

London Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.