Male Breast Reduction; Why This Method and Can This Be Fixed?

9 months ago I had my gyno removed. I understand that when the doctor removes the tissue it is normally done through an incision under the areola. My doctor made the incisions on my areolas and through my nipples. I literally had crosses stitched on my areolas. Why would he use this method because now my nipples are split in two. Also is there anyway this can be corrected? I would post pics but it won't let me. The best way to describe it is it's like a torn earlobe. Are there any risks?

Male Breast Reduction (Gynaecomastia Surgery)

+1

Hi Justin,

I am not familiar with the surgical technique that has been used for your gynaecomastia surgery, it is not a common one and I am unsure why it would be used.

Your current problem of split nipples can be corrected with surgery, much like a split earlobe. It can be done under local anaesthetic (or with sedation, or with general anaesthesia) with minimal down time.

Risks? It is possible that infection, bruising, bleeding, recurrence of the problem and/or scarring may occur, but it is a low risk procedure.

Good luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Split nipple after gynecomastia correction

+1

There are a number of different potential incisions for the correction of gynecomastia and the choice depends on the surgeon's experience and the findings on physical exam.  It is hard to answer your question without a picture, but if the nipple is split, it should be relatively easy to put things back together under local anesthesia.

John Q. Cook, MD

Gynecomastia surgery

+1

Traditionally an infra areola incision is made but there are some descriptions of splitting the nipple and areola to gain access. In my practice, I review the incision with my patients. For some a mastectomy is required, and this is often done with an inframammary incision removing excess skin and breast tissue.

Male Breast reduction

+1

The technique you describe is unusuall. Gynecomastia is usually treated by liposuction in my practice. In some cases a removal of breast tissue throughan incision under the areola is performed. The niplle bisection technique is unknown to me but you can certainly have that corrected by a small procedure to refresh the nipple edges and have it swen together.There are no risks to having the condition you are in to the best of my knowledge.Good luck!

Morad Tavallali, MD
Vienna Plastic Surgeon