Male Areola Reduction - is my Recovery on Track?

I had an areola reduction done about 4 months ago (lolipop technique). I am pleased with the results so far, but over the last month or so, my right nipple seems to be healing differently to me left one. It is often more contracted and there seems to be a hard area forming which is quite painful. My surgeon is very experienced and says that he is happy with the healing so far. Is there cause for concern that the one side seems to be scarring more than the other?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Gynecomastia surgery concerns

+1

It is important to know that an incision around the circumference of the areola carries certain risks :
1.Scars may be visible or even painful keloide scars,and therefore it is hardly acceptable for most men and more so in Body Builders and athletes.
2.A greater chance of permanent loss of sensation
3. Greater chance of areola-nipple necrosis(loss) compare to patients that are having the common sub-areolar incision(one quoter of the areola)
4.Revisions works sometimes to a certain degree.
With out an examination of the breasts it isn't possible to give you a fair and accurate assessment.
According to you, your surgeon is experienced with gynecomastia surgery which is positive. 

Uneven healing and scarring after Gynecomastia repair (male breast reduction)

+1

From your description, you may be experiencing hypertrophic or keloid scarring. It is likley that you scars will soften and fade, Avoiding sun exposure, triamcinolone injections (=/- botulinum toxin and/or 5 FU), topical silicone sheeting, massage and tme may help ease their appearance. Discuss scar management options with your surgeon. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/male-plastic-surgery-chicago/male-breast-reduction/

You should not have pain 4 months after gynecomastia correction.

+1

Hi.

Hard to tell what the problem is, but the asymmetry and pain that you describe are not normal. See your plastic surgeon again, or get another opinion.