Male Abdominoplasty Question?

I went from 320 lbs down to 185 lbs, and am around 18% body fat. I know that I need a tummy tuck for my lower abdomen, but I also have sagging skin in my chest area below my nipples. Would tightening my abdomen include the upper torso area? Or would I need to have another seperate surgery for that as well. If necesdary I can post pics at a later time

Post weight loss surgery and male tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Plastic surgery is an excellent option for removing extra skin that can accompany significant weight loss. Based on your description, I presume that you will need both a tummy tuck and another contouring procedure for your chest. That's because a tummy tuck won't address excess skin below the nipples. A board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in post weight loss plastic surgery can remove this skin and create a flatter, firmer chest. Liposuction may also be necessary to remove any fatty areas that are resistant to diet and exercise. Best of luck!

San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1

After losing weight from 320 lbs to 185 lbs, you will have hanging skin that may extend to circumferencial.  You may require an abdominoplasty with a posterior coninuation creating what is called circumferencial body lift.  An abdominoplasty tightens the skin to the costal margin but also pulls some of the chest skin down as well.  This may not satisfy your requirements.  You may need a separate procedure for the chest area.  Fascia provides the mechanical strength of the abdominal wall when the muscles are not contracting.  After massive weight loiss, the fascia is loose and damaged and mesh is required to reinforce it.  I recommend a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement to help maintain the reduced weight.  There have been several articles published in Plastic and Reconstructive Journal describing this technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

A separate procedure will be needed for the chest

+1

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations on the weight loss.  A separate procedure will be needed to contour the chest area.  The exact procedure that will be idea for you must be based on your desires and your examination.  Since guys don't wear swimsuit tops the options for resection of excess skin and concealment of the incisions are a little more challenging.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

What does a tummy tuck cover?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  As you now know, it results in flaccid, excess skin in many places.  The abdominoplasty will not address your chest redundancy.  You will likely need another procedure (reduction) to resolve your chest concerns.  If its going to be major surgery, you may want to consider doing the procedures separately to minimize risks to your abdominoplasty flap.  Discuss this with your chosen doctor.

Curtis Wong, MD

Abdominoplasty --

+1

The abdominoplasty will  correct the excess skin and other tissue from the rib cage down to the pubic bone. The chest would have to be addressed separately. Photos would help. Many who have had this much weight loss will need what is called a "belt lipectomy", sometimes also called a "lower body lift" to remove excess from the back also. If there is enough excess a vertical abdominoplasty may be needed, adding a vertical incision in the midline of the abdomen. 

Congratulations on the weight loss. You seem ready for an in person consultation. RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Male Abdominoplasty Question?

+1

Great Job with the weight loss! The abdominoplasyt will create improvement only from the lower ribs down to the pubis. For patients with dramatic weight loss we usually do an abdomiinoplasty that goes all the way around to the back to make sure the waist and flanks are contoured as well as the abdomen. At a separate time,  we do chest recontouring if necessary.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Abdominoplasty and Excess Skin of Chest?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

You will  be able to obtain more precise advice if you are able to post pictures;  obviously, in-person consultation will be necessary to give you the most precise advice possible.

Generally speaking, the abdominoplasty procedure will not do much to help with “sagging skin in the chest area below the nipples".   Chest wall surgery may be necessary to improve the contour of the chest wall.