Male 51 Years Old, 5'10" 275 Lbs Double Pacemaker and Defibrillator Wants a Tummy Tuck. Advice? (photo)

A 51 year old man with a Double Pacemaker and defibrillator 5'10", 275 lbs. His Cardiologist said 9 years ago he needs to be at 210 lbs. All his blood work up is good and no other health problems aside from sometimes choking on food. What would be the benefits and reasons in getting a Tummy Tuck or not. Are there any men on this site for him to talk to? We are not concerned about vanity but health issues and or concerns from a Dr.'s point of view. Please help. Thank you

No tummy tuck for you

+2

At 275, you are still very overweight for a 5'10" man.  Tummy tucks are not a substitute for proper weight loss through diet and exercise.  If you lose all the way down and are unhappy with the skin excess, you can see some plastic surgeons IF your cardiologist blesses this plan and see what they say.  Personally, I would advise that you never do one because why take the risk of dying on unnecessarily?

Body contouring versus weight loss surgery

+1

Thank you for the question.  It sounds like you are considering a tummy tuck procedure as a method to reach the target goal weight of 210lbs.  If weight loss is your primary objective then a tummy tuck is not the procedure you are searching for.  Body contouring procedures such as tummy tucks, liposuction, etc are not designed as weight loss procedures and remove very little weight.  Surgical procedures designed for weight loss include lap band surgery where a band is placed around the stomach to help modify dietary intake as well as gastric bypass surgery (the stomach is made smaller essentially).

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

TUMMY TUCK COMBINED WITH DIET, EXERCISE...BUT FIRST FIND OUT WHAT'S CAUSING CHOKING ON FOOD

+1

I would advise having a tummy tuck.  This will get rid of excess skin and fat of your central abdomen. I would, however, try diet and exercise first.  

I am somewhat concerned that you mentioned choking on food.  This should be more thoroughly worked up before a tummy tuck is contemplated.  You should perhaps see a gastroenterologist first.  A tummy tuck may make this worse and lead to significant health and healing problems. 

Regarding your tummy tuck, due to your double pacemaker and defibrillator, I would definitely do your procedure in a hospital.  You should get clearance from your cardiologist before undergoing the procedure and ideally have him or her visit you during your hospital stay.  You may also have to coordinate stopping any medication that you are presently on with your cardiologist. 

Good luck and I hope this has helped.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Surgery Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Unfortunately, at this point you are not  a candidate for tummy tuck surgery. You will be better off seeking consultation with weight-loss professionals, personal trainers, and/or nutritionists.  Your current weight and cardiac condition  both are contraindications at this point.  At some point, once you reach a long-term stable weight and have been  deemed “low risk” by your cardiologist,  body contouring surgery can be contemplated.

Tummy tuck and health risks

+1

Given your health risks of obesity and cardiac problems, I believe the risks of tummy tuck surgery out weighs its potential benefits, in your case.  A tummy tuck is not a substitute for a good weight reduction program (proper diet and exercise).  If you can get your weight down to 210 lbs. and if your cardiologist and other medical doctors feels you are not at significantly increased risk from the surgery, then and only then, might a tummy tuck be in your best interest.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Male tummy tuck

+1

I think you still need to lose more weight before undergoing surgery.  WIth your medical history and at your weight the procudure is risky.  Also, if you are on any blood thinners, including aspirin, these would have to be stopped prior to surgery, which would require the approval of your cardiologist.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

General health risks maybe improved with surgery.

+1

In general obesity carries many health risks including hypertension, diabetic, and cardiovascular and stroke complications.  With a pacemaker and defibrillator in place, in the absence of coronary artery disease, surgery may be very helpful.  A tummy tuck for a large apron of skin will allow the patient to exercise and lose weight.  A detailed discussion with your doctors is necesary to understand the potential risk!

H. Michael Roark, MD