Can I have Asian Rhinoplasty using rib instead of ear cartilage? I'm concerned I don't have enough ear cartilage. (photos)

hey im just. im planing to have rhinoplasty using rib cartilage to augment my nasal bridge. dont want implants. i have pics of myself here, i have bulbous tip, i dont like the appearance of my nose when i smle it widens. got also a pix of my ideal nose,shes korean actress i love her nose coz its not 2 big not 2 small. i want my nose to look like that, not exctly like that but close 2 dat shape.but is it true that rib cartilage warp? or a diced cartilage will prevent it from doing so?

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1
Depending on how high you intend to build your bridge, you may benefit from using ear or rib cartilage.  To prevent warping of rib cartilage, it needs to be specially prepared and placed.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you with achieving the results you seek.  3-dimensional computer imaging can help you visualize what you may look like afterwards and serve as an important communication tool with your surgeon.

Rib vs Ear Cartilage for Asian Rhinoplasty

+1
There does appear to be enough ear cartilage to augment your bridge. An experienced surgeon will be able to evaluate your needs and make recommendations. Over the past 35 years I've rarely used rib cartilage because it is more difficult to harvest, can leave an unfavorable scar, more significant complications are possible.

Augmentation of the Bridge in Asian Rhinoplasty

+1
Dear justbusinessxoxo,

Asian rhinoplasty can be an excellent way to improve the contour and shape of your nose.

Many Asian patients, such as yourself, need significant augmentation of the nasal bridge. There are several options for accomplishing this, including:

1. Autogenous grafts such as cartilage, fascia, and bone
2. Alloplastic implants such as silicone or Gore-Tex
3. Homologous materials such as irradiated rib and acellularized dermal matrix.

Each of these options has advantages, disadvantages, limitations, and risks.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is very experienced with Asian rhinoplasty to discuss your concerns.

Warmest wishes,
Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Rib

+1
Autologous tissue is preferable to an implant.  Ideally I try to use septum first before rib or ear cartilage 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage graft and a rhinoplasty

+1
Rib cartilage can warp over time but it is preferable to the use of a silicone implant in my opinion.  

Asian rhinoplasty using ear vs rib cartilage.

+1
Asian rhinoplasty using ear vs rib cartilage. In more than35 years of doing Asian rhinoplasty I have never used rib cartilage (more expensive and painful and leaves a scar). I have used a combination of ear and septal cartilage as well as thick soft tissue. 

Yes

+1
Rib cartilage is a good option if you are willing to accept the harvest scar on your chest, frequently this can be done with an incision location similar to a breast augmentation.  

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon