Having Malar Implants Removed After 10 Years?

I had Malar implants placed nearly 10 yrs ago via the mouth (Silasti M Hard Silicon 4.5mm no screws) A few months ago i developed an infection and tried 6 courses of antibiotics. I do not want the implants due to the L size. I am wondering how difficult surgery recovery is and what are the likelyhood that I will have extreme facial sagging. Also what are ways to prevent sagging from happening? I am extremely nevous about the surgery due to information I have read online. I am 33 years of age.

+2

I have removed malar implants for various reasons over the past 25 years, replaced them and sometimes not based on patient desires.  At 33 year old, the sagging will be less than it would be inb the 40's and 50's, so that's the good news.  The bad news, is that some amount of cheek sagging will happen when the implants are removed.  In these cases, I have found that performing a minimal incision Face Lift, like our "Palmer Celebrity Face Lift" combined with fillers (I prefer Perlane) to shape the cheeks will give the face a naturally youthful and attractive appearance.  Hope this helps.

Cheek implant removal.

+2

Your cheeks will sag when the implants are removed.  When I remove implants in patients like you  I resuspend the cheeks with the Endotine device which will dissolve after months. 

Cheek Implant Removal

+2

Removal of cheek implants is an uncomplicated procedure and is nothing like the original procedure to place them. Your question about whether you would have any cheek sagging or not is a valid one. Cheek implants of 4.5mm projection would not normally be considered large but that does not guarantee that some cheek sagging will not occur. One way to mitigate this possibility is to suture the implant pocket back down to the bone using the existing implant capsule to do it, a form of internal capsular suspension/fixation.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Remove old cheek implants

+2

Removal of silicone cheek implants is an easy procedure. How you will look over the next 2-6 months is hard to predict. Fillers could be used to compensate for depressions of the cheek areas at these later dates. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar implant removal

+2

Malar implants can be removed and generally the recovery after their removal is much easier than when they are put in.  At your age (33), I would expect that your skin still has good elasticity, and there most likely will not be any sagging.  I understand that you do not want the implants because they are size Large, but another option would be to try a smaller size at some point.  You could also potentially use a filler to give your cheeks more volume if that is want you are trying to achieve.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon