1) Malar Implants, Cheek Lift : Which one is more invasive and has more complications? 2) Does implant brand matter?

Cheek implant seems pretty uncommon, is there a reason why so? I would like to add volume to my thin face and I need your valuable advice about which procedure is safer, duration of recovery, will bone absortion matter a big deal, capsule formation, etc...things that I may have overlooked I am coming to mid-40s. Fats transfer is another option but gives very unpredictable results. Thanks!!!

+1

I would describe facial implants as a mildly invasive procedure. Cheek lift, on the other hand, can result in prolonged swelling and significant downtime. Fat transfer can be effective but is highly variable for cheek augmentation. For people seeking permanent cheek augmentation, I usually recommend cheek implants and use either Implantech or Inamed implants. A capsule does typically form but, unlike with breast implants, the capsule formation is not usually a problem. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation for flat cheeks

+1

Cheek implants are manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic and are inserted through intraoral approach under a brief general anesthesia. the body does form a small capsule around the implant which is normal. Cheek implants given very predictable amount of augmentation, whereas fat is very unpredictable. For more information please see the link below

Volume to cheeks

+1

As we age, we lose volume in our face. In the past, we used to view fat as bad stuff and we wanted to get rid of it. Now we see it as good filler material. It is long-lasting since it is your own tissue but, as you pointed out, it is also unpredictable. Other fillers can be used but they break down over time and have to be replenished. Still, injecting filler materials into the cheek area is the least invasive way to restore volume with basically no down time at all. Because of that, injectable materials have become more popular and cheek implants have faded somewhat in popularity. Placing cheek implants requires incisions and is more invasive. There is more of a recovery period and the risks (infection, migration of the implant, etc.) are higher than with injectables. I don't think implant brand is particularly important. These days there are a lot of options and each doctor has his/her own favorites. The nice thing is that implants are permanent. MIdface lifts can be more invasive than cheek implants depending upon which technique is used. The technique used depends upon what you are trying to accomplish as your goal.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD