Sub Malar Cheek Implants for Fullness?

I am a female and i have a very long face. I do have prominent cheeks but not that much. But i lack volume underneath my eyes. So i was wondering if sub malar implants would help restore the volume in that area. And also if i did get sub malar implants can i get malar implants much later when i start to loose volume in that region ? I am 19

Sub Malar Cheek Implants for Fullness?

+2

Submalar implants are typically used for people who require anterior (forward) projection of the inner part of the cheek. They also augment the cheekbone arch to varying degrees. Based on your description submalar implants are likely a reasonable option. With regard to placing a different type of implant later, I typically recommend replacing the original implant with a single, more extensive implant rather than placing two separate implants. This reduces the risk of one or both implants shifting and does not typically add any additional cost. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical Cheek Augmentation Is An Excellent Alternative To Surgical Cheek Implants

+1

Submalar nonsurgical cheek augmentation is a very simple, quick and safe alternative to surgery and is perhaps something to strongly consider, especially for a very young person who might want to "try out" a new look for their cheeks.

A volumizing filler, such as Radiesse, a calcium-based material, or Radiesse combined with Perlane L, which is composed of hyaluronic acid, makes a good choice for this purpose in the United States and is what I use in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. In Israel, where I have another practice and where far more regulatory agency approved products are available, I prefer to use the much more robust (and longer-lasting) Juvederm Voluma (which will hopefully be coming to the States soon), Restylane SQ, or Stylage XXL.

Nonsurgical submalar cheek augmentation using volumizing agents takes about five minutes per side to complete and is virtually painless (using local anesthesia and very thin cannulas). The results are immediate and with little or no downtime.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Sub Malar Cheek Implants

+1

Sub malar cheek implants sound like the ideal approach to improve your cheek contour. Enjoy them now and worry about the loss of  volume with aging when that happens. I have changed implants or done a cheek lift years after placing placing implants. Enjoy!

Submalar implants fill hollow mid-cheeks

+1

They are designed to fill hollow mid-cheeks under prominent or "skeletal" cheek arches called the zygomatic arch. If you have a flat face or lack prominence under the eyes, it may be due more to under-development of the front of the cheekbone. We call this negative vector cheeks. Implants can be helpful but there are many sizes and shapes to choose from. See a specialist to discuss what is best for you.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Infraorbital Rim vs. Submalar Facial Implants

+1

Without pictures your question is impossible to answer. I suspect you are referring to an infraorbital rim deficiency and not a submalar one. But you will need to submit pictures to see exactly what facial area you are actually referring to. Infraorbital rim implants can do a good job of building up the area right underneath the eye.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheek augmentation

+1

Without pictures is impossible to give an opinion since there are so many different styles of cheek implants. There are malar implants, sub-malar implants, and  a combination of both. Each one of these implants comes in small medium large and extra large. Each one of these 3 types of implants are used were different purposes. All of the implants  we use are made of Silastic, were inserted through an intraoral approach, under brief general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.

Submalar implants for fullness

+1

Submalar implants can help restore volume to the part of the cheek below the cheek bone.  Pictures of you would be needed to determine if you might be a candidate for such a procedure.  If submalar implants are placed, it is possible to either place malar implants later or there are combination malar/submalar implants that could be used as well.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon