Malar Augmentation After Radiesse Injections

I would like malar augmentations instead of getting repeat Radiesse injections. I want high dramatic results a la Megan Fox but am unsure of whether the history of Radiesse injections will affect the procedure? This seems to be a very unpopular procedure and I don't have enough fat to do any kind of grafting, so implants seems to be the best option but how will the Radiesse affect the surgery, if at all? Will it leak out during the procedure?

Cheeky Cheeks

+3

Cheekbone implants are placed directly on the native cheek bone, the Radiesse is in the skin.  The combination of the two can give a dramatic result to cheekbone projection.  As the Radiesse resorbs, the augmented cheek bones will lose some prominence, but the prominence derived from the implants is permanent.

Good luck.

Cheek Augmentation after Radiesse Injections

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Depending on the injector style, preference and experience, malar augmentation or cheek augmentation with Radiesse is typically injected in the soft-tissue or in a sub-periosteal plane ( just abutting the cheek bone).  Once the radiesse become integrated into the tissue it becomes fixed and won't "leak out" as you mentioned. We regularly perform cheek augmentations, midface lifts, and other procedures  - in areas that have been previously augmented with radiesse and other injectable fillers -  without problems.

Always consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon when considering complex facial rejuvenation procedures.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Will previous Radiesse injections interfere with Cheek Implants?

+2

No, I frequently use Radiesse or Perlane to shape the cheeks.  It's common for these patients to later decide that they want the permanent cheek augmentation provided by cheek implants.  Placing cheek implants with Radiesse in the cheek area should be no problem as the cheek implants are on the bone and the Radiesse is within the fatty tissue layers.  The amount of Radiesse within the cheeks would not affect my decision regarding the cheek implant selection to achieve the proper aesthetic cheek shape.

Malar Augmentation with Cheek Implants after Injection

+2

Yes, malar augmentation with a cheek implant is an option after an injection such as Radiesse. There are many variables to enhance the cheeks. Silicone cheek implants are a good option. Some patients, more commonly Asian patients, may benefit from buccal fat reduction to help enhance the cheek bones. Cheek implants would be placed on top of bone and placed deeper than the prior injections.

However, your cosmetic surgeon may want to wait to allow the prior injection material to go away before offering surgery. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chhek implants after fillers

+2

Many patients will try fillers over the malar area to see how they like the aesthetic result before thay undertake placement of cheek implants. I have performed many of such implants after prior Radiesse without any problems. Like breast implants, choose your cheek implant size with good taste and sense of aesthetic balance.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar augmentation

+2

High malar eminences or cheek bones are often associated with beauty in western cultures.  This area can be augented with temporary fillers (like Radiesse), fat, or with implants.  Malar implants are a great way to increase the prominence of the malar area and the procedure is a simple one to perform.  Prior use of Radiesse would not in any way affect the implants.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon