Post Mastetomy, Are Tissue Expanders Personalized for each Individual?

For post mastectomy sizing, do the tissue expanders come in more than one size or do they just fill an pliable expander to the desired size over time? Kind of like a one size fits all and fill to suit the patients.

Tissue expanders

+1

Tissue expanders for breast reconstruction comes in all different sizes to accomodate varying shapes and volumes of breasts.  I always measure my patients and review the options with them.

Tissue expander breast reconstruction

+1

Thank you for the question.  Tissue expanders are available from several manufacturers in North America.  Each type comes in a variety of widths, heights, and projections.  Your plastic surgeon would do a variety of measurements pre operatively to help pick the one that will work best for your specifically.  You should feel comfortable asking questions about expanders with your surgeon.

Peter A. Lennox, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tissue expander size for breast reconstruction

+1

Yes, tissue expanders come in different sizes and shapes. 

The main determining factor is the width or diameter of your future breast.  This will determine the base diameter of the tissue expander that your surgeon orders. 

Additionally, for each diameter, breast tissue expanders come in low, medium, or full height depending on how elongated your chest is.

Please see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a full evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS