Making Asian Thinner and Pointier- Is This Nose Possible for Me? (photo)

Is it possible for me to have a thinner, pointer nose and to what extent can plastic surgery make a difference for me? I don't know if I have really thick skin, so I included a pic of the base of my nose. Is it possible to have a nose like Sandara Park's (second from left in last pic)? Also, I really don't want to lengthen my nose, as it is already pretty long for my face. Is it possible to have a thinner tip without making my nose longer? Thanks so much ~

Refinement with Asian rhinoplasty

+1

Plastic surgery can give you a more balanced and attractive nose.  While it's possible to shape your nose to look similar to Sandara's, it's important to create a nose that matches your face and complements your features.  

Asian nose tip refinement

+1

Your nose tip can be more refined and defined without making it longer. The question is how much. The limiting factors are the thickness of the skin, amount of fat beneath the skin and how big and strong your tip cartilages are. A good surgeon should be able to tell what you can expect realistically when he/she examines you in person.

Eric I. Choe, MD, FACS

Asian tips look wide because they are flat and rounded

+1

For many Asians, the tip cartilages are weak and flat (compared to Caucasian noses).  The thicker skin envelope also contributes to the appearance of width.   In order to make the tip look more refined, in general this requires increasing the projection of the tip (which can be done without increasing length to the nose).  One issue is that if the tip is projected to the extent that it becomes out of balance with the projection of the bridge, the profile of the nose can start to look concave (scooped).  If your bridge is already low, like many Asians, then some elevation of the bridge should also be done to counterbalance the tip work.  Best of luck.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Rhinoplasty Refinement

+1

Hi, 

You can refine your tip and elevate the tip slightly to improve the balance and proportion of your nose to the rest of you face. I think it will also benefit you to enhance your chin to make the overall facial features more balanced. As far as making your nose look like the person you mentioned, It's best to bring the photo along during your face to face consultation with your plastic surgeon. During the consultation your plastic surgeon can discuss the proper expectations and limitations with your rhinoplasty.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery 

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Making Asian nose thinner

+1

It is possible to narrow your nose with rhinoplasty. This doesn't have to be excessively done. Normally, building up the nose with grafts can achieve the affect of narrowing. The nose doesn't have to be made any longer with surgery.

You could also consider chin augmentation to further balance out the face.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asian nose and balance

+1

Morning Ygraine

Your tip can be refined and your dorsum (bridge) augmented just a bit.  One of the reasons you have the appearance of a long nose is due to a weak, short chin.  If you're going to change the nose (and I'd keep it subtle) you might think about chin augmentation.  A chin implant may not be enough in your case.  Your nose would look much less out of balance with a better chin.

Hope that helps

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is This Nose Possible for Me? (photo)

+1

Yes, your nose can be refined, reshaped, feminized, and chin augmentation should be considered as well, in my opinion, for a balanced result that appears natural.

Steve Laverson, MD

Making Asian Thinner and Pointier- Is This Nose Possible for Me?

+1

There are several techniques available to improve definition in the nasal tip. Combinations of suture technique and cartilage grafts may yield the tip you are seeking. However, the limitation will be the thickness of your skin. You may consider a chin implant as well and that should help restore the your facial balance.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Making an Asian nose thinner

+1

Based on your photos and goal it is possible to achieve this without using an implant.  Your skin is on the thicker side and you would probably need to have a tip cartilage graft done to add more definition to the tip as it is refined.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Asian rhinoplasty-implants or your own cartilage.

+1

Using your own cartilage the tip of the nose can be defined and thinned without making it pointy or longer.