Major Tip Swelling at One Month Post Op?

I had an open rhinoplasty a month ago, and my nose looks exactly the same as it did when my cast was removed. I have a narrower bridge than before the surgery, but my tip is huge, ball-like and even bigger than before. I thought by now I would at least see some changes, but this tip swelling is just ridicuous. How long does it take before I start seeing improvement in the tip area? My dr. said he narrowed it a bit, but it's much bigger than before. Any advice would be helpul!

+1

Not unusual to have quite a bit of tip swelling after open rhinoplasty- but should be considerably better 6 wks post op.  Give it  a couple more weeks- should see some improvement- but give it 6 months before you decide that you want a revision of the tip- it can take this long to see a near final result

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Significant nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

At only one month after open rhinoplasty you can have quite a bit of reactive swelling of the nasal tip skin. I typically forwarn my patients to expect their tip to look as big, if not bigger, than before surgery at first. In time the skin swelling should slowy improve. The thicker your skin the longer this takes. If you want to actively help the process along, you can start a low sodium diet (1000 - 1500 mg a day) and elevate your head at least 30 degrees at night while sleeping.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/treatments/rhinoplasty

Tip Swelling One Month Post Op

+1

The only advice I can give you is to be patient. It will take at least a year fot the swelling to resolve.

Swelling of Nasal Tip One Month After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Orange,

The tip of the nose is the last to have swelling disappear, especially after an open rhinoplasty.  You must be patient, it should continue to improve over the next year.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Compare photos each month and you should see that the swelling is resolving.  I hope that you love your new nose once all of your swelling has resolved.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

A month is too early to tell anything about your results from rhinoplasty

+1

You simply have to wait it out.  I know that you are probably anxious that something went wrong, but if your surgeon is confident that the bulge is due to swelling, then you have no choice but to wait.  Unless something slipped out of position and is obviously wrong, it is better to wait at least a year before considering any revision surgery.

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Tip Swollen after Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is one of the most demanding cosmetic plastic surgery procedures. The demand is placed both on the surgeon, and the patient. It takes a year (sometimes two) for the swelling to resolve from rhinoplasty.

That is not to say that you nose will look swollen for a year and then the next day there is a dramatic change. It is a gradual process, so progress can be hard to monitor without pictures.

The selling will resolve from the top down, so the tip is the last place to see improvement. I hope you find this encouraging, because is means you are yet to see the results of your surgery, and there is plenty of time for improvement.

Be certain to bring up your concerns with your doctor, so that they can review the pictures with you, and hopefully, provide you with some peace of mind while waiting for your results.

Web reference: http://www.drmele.com/rhino.html

Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.