Major Swelling After Dog Ear Repair Surgery? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck a year ago and had my dog ear repair surgery 4 days ago. The Dr. used local and just scalpeled the excess out. I'm concerned because the swelling on both of my hips is making them look worse than the dog ears did themselves. Not sure if you can tell in the photos but the scar is actually lumpy as well as swollen. Is this common or should I be concerned? I'm also VERY sore! How long does it take to heal and achieve the final results after dog ear surgery? THANK YOU!

Swelling after tummy tuck dog ear revision

+2

Hi - from your photos, it does appear that you have quite a bit of swelling. Did your surgeon advise that you wear a binder or any compression garments after this revision? That may help with some of the swelling, even if you only wear them while you are sleeping. Think back to how swollen you were after your original surgery and how the incision probably appeared somewhat "lumpy" and irregular - you are pretty fresh out from this recent surgery, so give it some time to settle down, and take it easy in terms of your activities - your body still has a pretty large area to heal, so don't underestimate your body's need for some "down time" to heal properly. Best of luck!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swollen Dog Ears After Tummy Tuck Revision

+2

Dear Melanie:

Hard to tell from California. The swelling could be normal or it could be a problem. A certain amount of swelling is to be expected four days after surgery; howwever, increasing swelling associated with increasing pain is not normal at four days. The best thing to do is to call for plastic surgeon and let them check you. If it is normal, you will be reassured. If it is a problem, treatment can be started today. Good luck.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and pain after dog ear surgery

+2

Although a bit of swelling and bruising are typical after any surgery, increased pain, swelling, bruising after surgery could indicate a hematoma.  Have your PS check it out.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Dog ear repair and recovery

+2

Your photos do not show any unusual amount of swelling.  There can be lumps and bumps following the scar revision because there has to be some "cheating" to minimize the length of scar to achieve correction of the dog ear.  I expect that your incision will continue to improve along with the swelling. 

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Dog Ear Repair (Tummy Tuck)?

+1

It will take several weeks for the majority of swelling to dissipate. The scarring process will take several months,  and even up to one year, to mature.   During this process, the look and feel of the scars will improve. Therefore, probably no reason to be “concerned”.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed.

Swelling after tummy tuck dog ear.

+1

Hello and thanks for your post. It is very common to have a "dog ear" treated in the office under local anesthesia in the exact same manner your surgeon did it. However, the painful swelling could represent a few problems that you should make your surgeon aware. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD