Major Fear of Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I'm a 14 year old perfectionist, I have a very small narrow nose from the front slightly upturned but I have a noticeable bump on the profile. I have asked about injections and surgery. I am choosing surgery. I have never had surgery and I am scared to no end. I just imagine me screaming and crying the day of. A week ago I had to get a blood test and I started crying. The only thing I am scared of is dying during the operation. I will not have general anesthesia and will not be intubated. Tips?

Fear of Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello!! I am a perfectionist too!!! First of all, 14 is very young to consider a Rhinoplasty. Your face is still developing physically. Also being 14 years old , you have limited experiences and are still growing emotionally. I tell my patients that if there will is greater than their fear, they are ready for surgery. It is important to research the Rhinoplasty procedure in detail. YOu must clearly understand the risks and complications involved. Also the nose is an extremely sensitive part of the face and it is safer to have the procedure performed under general anesthesia. THese days General anethesia is safer then ever. You must research and trust the medical team that will perform the surgery. I suggest that you wait until you are at least 18 years old to consider this procedure.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Fear of Rhinoplasty - age 14

+1

Hi Brooklyn B,

Sorry to hear that you are feeling uncertain about your upcoming procedure. While I am sure you will do just fine and that you chose an excellent surgeon, I would suggest that you put off your surgery for now. 14 is quite young for Rhinoplasty surgery. Although not inappropriately young, it is certainly on the outer limits of usual for the standard age range. There is no need to have surgery under a cloud of fear. Why not wait 6 months or a year and see if you feel more confident? I think your overall experience will be better if you delay just a little bit.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Fears

+1

Dear BrooklynB, Having some concerns and fears about surgery is common and quite frankly to be expected. From your photo, it appears that the procedure should be straight forward and fairly quick. I would expect little pain from reducing your small bump and if you do experience some pain, your medications should work well. Good luck. Dr. Gervais

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon