Major Back Pain and Posture Issues Due to Diastatis Recti? (photo)

29 year old mother of two. Since I have had my 3yr old I have suffered from lower back pain. I have been on pain medicine, went to therapy and now I am seeing a chiropractor trying to relieve this back pain as must as possible. My posture is also an issue since the separation of the abs. I find myself hunched over a lot and for some reason this is beginning to feel comfortable. I don't want to end up with a hump in my back. I have been saving for the procedure. Want to know if insurance can help

Back Pain and Posture Issues Due to Diastatis Recti and Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

It is unlikely that you will find that your health insurance company will help with the tummy tuck procedure;  of course, you will need to reach them directly for an accurate response. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients; make sure you ask to see lots of examples of their work.

I have attached some advice I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

No strong evidence of abdominoplasty helps back pain.

+1

Many patients after abdominoplasty claim that their back pain is improved. The scientific evidence to support this is weak so insurance is unlikely to cover it.

Major Back Pain and Posture Issues Due to Diastatis Recti?

+1

The majority of health insurance plans would NOT cover this issue. But ALWAYS worth a try. Call your company and determine the exact steps needed to obtain coverage. 

Abdominal wall laxity and lower back pain

+1

The   abdominal wall forms a cinch around the lower abdomen giving some support to the lower back.  Clinically I see many patients who report that their back pain is improved following an abdominoplasty.  There is really no way to tell if an insurance company would consider this medically necessary.   You could always call your insurance company and speak with a claims representative and ask if there is a coverage for this problems.  In today's world you just do not know for sure.  

Insurance Coverage?

+1

No insurance will cover these procedures as they do not find them medically necessary. There is always financing. Or if you are unable to qualify,  some surgeon's do a pre-payment plan where you are able to make payments prior to scheduling your surgery. Then once you have reached your monetary goal, you can proceed with surgery. 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty is a great operation but will not likely solve your problems

+1

I would not plan on insurance covering any of this.  Even hernias do not usually cause back pain, except MAYBE really big ones.  Best of luck to you. 

James E. Chappell, MD

+1

Diastasis recti is widely felt not to cause any health problems. The insurers pretty much all concur, and have an evidence based answer. They will consider this a cosmetic operation  Chances are considerable that the procedure will not relieve your symptoms. 

All the best.