How Do I Maintain the Tightness of my Facelift a Year Later?

I had a SMAS facelift 2 years ago. My face went from being very tight to somewhat lax in a year. Disappointed with the 12k I spent. My ps did not tell me it would loosen this fast. After a year I had a mini tuck with skin removal. Skin was tight and cheeks were real high. It's been a year since the mini tuck and my skin has loosened up AGAIN and my cheeks sag. I am so disappointed. How do celebrities keep that tight skin (ie: Cher)? How often can I have a mini tuck to keep my skin tight?

Maintaining the results of a facelift

+2

The longevity of your facelift depends on a few key factors - the health of your skin (elasticity, sun damage, nicotine use, heredity, age, etc) and the skill of your surgeon. To maintain your results most likely requires skin care maintenance and fillers. Here is what you should know:

You age by three factors - sagging (through gravity and time), loss of volume (counteracted by fillers), and skin texture (determined by environmental and genetic factors). Your fillers should maintain and enhance your effect of a facelift if placed appropriately by addressing one of the causes of aging..

Facelift and Skin resurfacing procedures (laser, Ulthera or Thermage ) and fillers are synergistic so as long as you wait until the Sculptra injection site is soft you should do fine. Not a problem and there is no problem with the timing for a facelift. Sculptra, Radiesse, Jeuvederm, Restylane and other fillers address volume issues, resurfacing procedures corrects surface flaws associated with aging and face lifting addresses the sagging loose skin. Resurfacing procedures address skin texture, color variation (e.g. sun spots)- so all three are synergistic and complementary. It is very common in my practice to do all three approaches to rejuvenation at the same time.

Keeping it Tight! Facelift that is.

+2

Our speciality allows us to improve appearance but we can not improve the inherent skin quality or the aging process.  I am sure that you appearance may not be as it was initially but I would bet that your current appearance is much improved versus what it was before surgery.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Skin tightness after facelift.

+2

The face will not tolerate tightness without a fake look or wide scars. I would need to see photos to see if you need cheek implants or a different procedure to what you have been getting. Actress look so good because of tape, make-up and tons of light so that Mother Teresa would look 20!!!!

Many factors

+2

Hi

There are multiple elements that determine how long a lift lasts:

1. How old you are at the time of the left. If you are in your late sixties it will loosen up much faster than if you have the procedure at 51

2. Exposure- patients who smoke or get lots of sun will see results fade faster 

3. Technique used- some techniques such as the deep plane facelift do last longer

4. bad luck- some patients tend to develop laxity no matter what we do. Even in these cases if you look at before and after photos I am sure you still look much improved 

Folks who need have any laxity are often getting small tuck or may simply have a better genetic hand dealtj to them

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Techniques and Tuck-up Rates

+1

Thank you for the great question. Facelift results and longevity will vary based on a number of factors, including your specific tissue characteristics (elasticity, sun damage, amount of fat, etc.) and the specific techniques used in the operation. Not all facelifts are created equal, and not every technique is suitable for every patient. Facelifts that primarily lift the skin, with maybe some suturing in the SMAS layer, will have a shorter lifespan than deeper techniques. Should you decide to go forward with another procedure, I would recommend seeing a handful of surgeons to discuss what could be done differently (e.g., a deep plane facelift) or the use of non-invasive tightening strategies for a few years before pursuing more surgery. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Maintaining the tight face

+1

I think you should get a great skin care regimen, use some botox and fillers, and possibly think about Ulthera or laser resurfacing.  It all helps and sometimes it is a question of skin elasticity and you need to have an earlier retightening procedure.  Everyone is different.   

Jay Calvert, MD

Tightness of skin after facelift

+1

There is really nothing to be done to maintain the results of a facelift other than not smoking and avoiding sun exposure.  The aging process is different for everyone and some people‚Äôs skin ages at a faster rate than others.  There is nothing that can be done about this.  It is very important not to overdo it with repetitive facelifts so that you look unnatural.  The most important component is looking natural and appropriate rather than looking surgical.

Facelift Maintenance

+1

Facelift maintenance usually needs to be done every 2 to 7 years depending upon patient demands and patient constitution.  I would try to resist the urge to touch up the facelift every year.  The face always swells following the facelift, and the swelling helps to make for a more youthful look for the first 6 weeks or so.  Fat grafting can be performed to allow for the volume improvement to be permanent.

Facelift longevity

+1

Everyone has different quality tissues. No ones skin should be super tight..it is not normal.  Soft tissue will descend with time. Sometimes fillers of fat need to be injected to provide more fullness.

Maintaining Face Tightness

+1

You may consider doing Ulthera annually. You may have poor elasticity that predisposes you to persistent laxity.  Because I am unaware of the method that your surgeon used to perform a facelift, it is difficult to know how the SMAS was treated. If you are losing trust of your plastic surgeon, get a second opinion from a facelift specialist.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD