how can i maintain the result after laser whitening? cause i have fillings and i love tea !!
How Can I Maintain the Result After Laser Whitening?
Doctor Answers 9
Keeping your Smile White
Ah Tea. A Dentist's nemesis when it comes to bleaching. Try the following:
- If possible use a straw- I know, with hot tea this is impossible, but try to drink it lukewarm or iced.
- Brush immediately after "staining" food such as tea, berries, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar etc. or if that is not possible, rinse your mouth with water immediately after drinking your tea.
- No smoking please.
- Great oral hygiene, routine dental care and frequent cleanings (every 3 months).
- Bleaching trays that you can use after each cleaning to "freshen" up your smile.
Have a question? Ask a doctor
How to Maintain White Teeth after Laser Whitening
You need to be mindful of teeth staining food and drinks and try to cut down on your consumption of them,,,coffee, tea, wine blueberries, and yes smoking, all cause staining on those beautifully bleached teeth. Also make sure you have your dentist make take home trays for you and provide you with bleaching gel so you can do touch up bleachiing when they start to look not quite as white as you would like. There are touch up whiteing pens and a very cute product out for the girls called the chic flic put out by whiter image. It is a teeth whitening brush on one end and a lip plumper and gloss on the other end with a mirror and led light...very classy for touch up! Guys have a more " manly " whitening pen they can use put out by the same company for touch ups!
Teeth Whitening Maintenance
If your dentist didn't already do so at the time of in-office whitening, you may want to have a set of custom whitening trays made so you can maintain your new pearly whites at home. A lot of our patients like to pick up extra whitening gel when they come in for their cleanings, as this is the best time to freshen up your smile - after all your stains have been professionally removed! As far as tea-drinking goes, you may want to try a whitening toothpaste if you are noticing staining from the tea. Cheers!
You might also like...
Maintaining "laser" whitening
Have your dentist make a set of "take-home" trays and supply you with "bleach" that you can use for "touch-up" whitening as needed.
Maintaining whitening RESULTS
The bast way i have found is to use whitening toothpaste every other day and use sonicare toothbrush. Using the Sonicare is almost like getting a mini clea ning with each brushing
Bleaching Teeth and Keeping them white
Professional trays for home use are your best option. You can use these as often as your dentist recommends
based on the health of your teeth. Not all home trays are the same, the soft ones allow the bleach to leak out and saliva comes in, so this decreases the effectiveness of the tray and you also ingest more solution. We use hard trays that have a reservoir on the teeth to allow more solution to stay on the teeth and trim the tray back to the gumline. The hard trays keep the solution in place.
Step by Step Guide to Keeping Your Teeth White
I am a big believer in sustainable whitening. Here is a step by step guide to maintaining white teeth with special regard to your tea drinking:
- Reduce exposure of your teeth to staining foods. Most people know what these foods are, but some examples are tea, coffee, berries, soy sauce, etc.
- Drink Black Tea instead of Green Tea if you can. Polyphenols are the compounds that actively stain your teeth and black tea has a lower polyphenol content.
- Maintain Great Oral Hygiene. Regular brushing with an electric toothbrush has been shown to reduce the formation of stains on your teeth.
- Have your Dentist provide you with some "Touch-Up" materials, either white strips or bleaching trays. Obviously, the whole point of laser whitening is to achieve dramatic tooth whitening that is lasting (the color stability of in-office whitening is much greater than other options), but you can use some materials for touch-ups several months down the road. You do not want to be one of these compulsive whiteners who use Whitestrips everyday because it is not healthy for your teeth
- Studies have shown that using a straw only works if you put it towards the back of your tongue to minimize contact of staining drinks with your teeth. This isn't particularly comfortable, so consider it optional.
- No Smoking if you can. Smoking magnifies the staining capacity of other foods.
- You may think whitening rinses and toothpastes might be a good idea, but they most definitely aren't. They contain calcium chelating agents and heavy abrasives that are notorious harsh on your enamel.
4 Keys To Maintaining White Teeth After Bleaching
There are several important things to keep in mind to help maintain white teeth after you bleach them. Keep in mind the following:
1. Keep great hygiene and get your teeth cleaned at least two times per year.
2. Avoid food or drinks that are known to restain teeth ( red wines, coffee, tea, pasta sauces, etc.) for 48 hours following bleaching.
3. Use a straw as much as possible when when drinking tea to avoid direct contact with the upper teeth.
4. Use bleaching trays for a couple of hours every six months to "touch up" your results and keep them looking bright.
How to maintain white smile after whitening
After initial whitening procedures you should maintain ideal hygiene and try to avoid foods, containing pigments like beets, blueberries, coffee. The use of electric toothbrush, Waterfloss and attend regular cleaning in your dental office. One every 3-4 months it is beneficial to wear home bleaching trays to keep the the teeth white.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.