How Can I Maintain Normal Skin in the Winter?

I've struggled with very dry skin and it worsens in the winter. What should I do to deal with my dry, irritating skin this winter?

How to Get Your Winter Glow

+3

The combination of dry air and harsh cold temperature can prove to be a nightmare for your skin. As with any other season, you will have to adjust your daily routine accordingly to keep your skin fresh and renewed. The following are tips to help you rejuvenate your skin and look your best for the winter season.
Don't Skip the Toner- Applying toner will normalize the skin's pH level, miting your skin throughout the day will allow the toner to absorb excess oil and keep you looking fresh.
Curb Your Cravings- Be sure to limit sugar intake. When your body processes sugar, it turns into glucose which can destroy collagen and your skin's elasticity. Eating fiber-rich foods can help ward off hunger and your sweet tooth.
Exfoliate Twice a Week- Dead skin and bacteria left on your face can irritate your acne and leave scarring . Be sure to slough it off with a gentle exfoliator. I recommend a oatmeal exfoliant.
Watch the Blow Dryer- The extreme heat and extended use of a blow dryer facing your neck can break capillaries and over time, leave them permanently broken.
Use Lukewarm Water- When rinsing your cleanser, avoid water that is too hot or too cold. Your skin is very sensitive and not being careful with temperature could cause irritation and break capillaries. That means shower water temperature can also be damaging if it is too hot.
Avoid products that use mineral oil or petroleum- Mineral oil and petroleum, both derived from fossil fuel, may dog your pores and prevent your body from flushing out toxins through your skin, leading to breakouts. Be sure to check the ingredients on all your skin care producs and cosmetics.
Drench and Hydrate- With dehydrated and cracked skin, be sure to add moisture with deep-hydrating creams and facials. Also, don't forget to stay hydrated yourself. Be sure to continually drink at least 8 glasses of water per day to maintain a radiant complexion.
Don’t forget that your furnace produces an extra added blast of dry air so the addition of a humidifier would be extremely helpful in keeping your skin moist.
• By following these tips, you can keep your skin you love, even during  the harshest winter months.

Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Dry skin in winter

+1

There are several things to do in the winter to protect your skin from getting too dry_

1-Liimit the number of showers you take a week and keep them short with water that is not very hot.

2-Only use soap in your armpits and groin.

3-Apply a moisturizer cream at night (Aquaphor, Vaseline, Vanicream, CeraVE etc and a lotion in the morning.

4-A humidifier can help bring moisture into the air.

Vicki J. Levine, MD