Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia? (Photo)

Im 25yrs old 5'9 140 lbs. I had a hernia repair 2 years ago, since my repair I've exercised and lived a healthy life. I have had trouble toning my abs and I have a pouch that I can not get rid of above my belly button it is very unattractive and id do anything to get rid of it. should I look into tummy tucks? is there another way around this pouch?

Surgery after an umbilica hernai repair

+1
can certainly be done and its best to see a local surgeon who can evaluate you and listen to your concerns and goals and come up with a plan to help you achieve your desires.  Options can include liposuction, a mini-tuck and umbilical float, and even Coolsculpting.

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia

+1
Dear coliedean88,

It is difficult to say which procedure would be best for you since your photos show such a limited area.  I would make every effort to solve the problem with exercise and diet.  If that fails liposuction might be of benefit.  Abdominoplasty would be a last resort since the operation involves a large incision, recovery time and significant expense.  Good luck.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy after hernia repair

+1
  • You have 2 problems - inability to tone muscles and the fatty 'pouch'.
  • Post-traumatic fat deposits - fat appearing after injury, including surgery is the likely cause of the pouch - unless you gained weight in the past 2 years. Treatment -- liposuction,
  • Trouble toning - the hernia repair may not have tightened the muscle enough.
  • Get a copy of the operative report from your hernia surgeon, and take it with you when seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss both liposuction and muscle tightening -
  • If muscles are only loose around the hernia repair, muscle tightening can be done through your existing scar. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia?

+1
Besides aggressive surgery I might consider a combination of "tweener" surgical options. Superficial lipo + ThermiTight Rf + ThermiSmooth external RF...  

Consider Liposuction

+1
Thank you for your picture.  I would not consider a tummy tuck for someone your age that more than likely has not had children.  You should consider liposuction as a treatment option.  Visit with several BC PS to get the best opinion.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Abdominal Flattening After Hernia Repair

+1
 Thank you for your question. Judging from your pictures it seems you have only excessive fat and your skin appears quite healthy. In someone your age you still have plenty of elasticity in the skin. A good liposuction will remove the fat and your skin should retract/shrink down. Scenarios where the skin won't retract are after pregnancies that produced stretch-marks or if you are older in age.
Visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery; they will guide you to make the best decision.   

Enrique Hanabergh, Jr., MD
Aventura Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia

+1
It is unusual for a 25 year old to have a Tummy Tuck, however, after reviewing your photos it appears that you would be in my opinion--a candidate for a Tummy Tuck. This procedure would flatten this pouch that you refer to and give you a flatter, tighter --less redundant middle abdomen. The tradeoff will be the incision site-which will be low in the groin section. Liposuction at the same time will enhance the result. Make sure to go to an Experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for in person evaluation. Hope this helps

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Tummy tuck after umbilical hernia?

+1
A short scar tummy tuck will remove loose skin and tighten the muscles to produce a nice, flat, tight abdomen.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and body contouring procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Liposuction after umbilical hernia

+1
You appear to be a good candidate for liposuction to sculpt this area.  A tummy tuck would not be necessary based on your desires

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon