Final Result Post Dog Ear Removal? (photo)

I am almost 14 wks PO. At 12 weeks PO my PS removed a dogear from my left side. He didn't give me any follow up appointments so I am assuming this is his finished result. I am skeptical that this is just swelling and that this is going to match my right side. On the day of removal afterwards the awkward "shelf" was there but when I mentioned it to my PS he stated that I had extra skin on my right side as well. What are your thoughts?

Revisions after tummy tucks

+2

are very common if perfection is the desired goal.  Your right side looks good following your revision.  Was there a reason you did not do the left side at the same time?  That skin will not shrink and disappear... it will eventually need attention and its suggested you continue to see your surgeon about your concerns.

Questions about abdominoplasty revision

+2

You do have some degree of asymmetry but this is not unexpected after unilateral surgery.  Give things a few more months to resolve then have your surgeon re-evaluate the result.  It appears that the skin of your lateral flank is loose and hanging down and overlapping the incision which is tight and adherent to the underlying tissue.  Massage and time is indicated for now.  

Dog ear after a Tummy Tuck

+2

I think that 3 months after surgery is a little too soon to do any revisions. I have my patients wait at least 6 months but every doctor is different. I feel that swelling lasts for several months. In your situation I recommend waiting but you should contact your plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Final Result Post Dog Ear Removal?

+2

I for one wouldn't consider a TT result to be final at 3 months. As to your specific questions, I really can't tell enough from the photos you have posted. Obviously you have some concern about the right side, but the straight on photo is hard to interpret with the slacks compressing the lower abdomen. At two weeks, and without a side view to see the rest of the dog ear repair, I am not sure how much more improvement to expect as the swelling resolves. 

My suggestion would be to call and make a six month follow up appointment. In the unlikely event that you are told your care is complete, let the surgeon know there are still issues.

All the best 

What about fullness on the sides after a tummy tuck?

+1

What you are seeing is not "dog ears".  What you are seeing is the loose skin that cascades down your sides all the way from your ribs (not part of your "tummy" skin) that most women, at least, call their "muffin top".  This contour is now out of synch with your abdominal skin which has been tightened with the tummy tuck. This is just like when you change the carpet in the family room, and the carpet in the den that meets it now doesn't look so good.

The good and bad news is that you may now may want, and need, a second procedure to deal with this. (At my office we call it "the muffin top lop").

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon