How Should I Have my Non Maglignant Mole Removed.

I have a large mole in my nasal fold that I have had for over twenty years. It started out really small, but has grown a lot over the years. It also cracks and bleeds at time, but it's not cancerous. Although the head of the mole is large the base is fairly small. I have had a few consults, but they all stated that I will be left with noticeable scarring. What should I do?

Methods of Removing Facial Moles

+3

Facial moles with "fairly small bases" can be easily removed using a shave excision technique that typically results in a minimal scar. With this method, the mole is actually shaved off at a very superficial level just below the surface of the skin. The procedure typically takes less than a minute and is painless after a tiny injection to numb the area. Moles that are removed in this fashion should not recur enough to be bothersome. If they do, they can always be excised and sutured at that time, but this almost never happens in my experience. I would recommend having this treatment done by a board certified dermatologist, as plastic surgeons rarely do shave excisions.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend a shave excision for this mole.  There may be minimal scarring with this procedure.  The procedure is relatively quick.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Nasolabial crease mole removal

+1
In terms of scarring, the scar can be placed into the fold which will be more cosmetically acceptable, in my opinion, than this large lesion. Growth is an indication for complete excision and, in its absence, one cannot definitively state that the lesion is benign or non-dysplastic. If the base of the lesion is small, this will result in a smaller scar. The specimen should be sent for pathology evaluation. I would favor complete excision over a shave which can, in itself, produce scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Moles in the corner of the nose are easily removed.

+1

Your mole can easily be removed with almost no pain under local.  You can 1st shave it down and see how it looks.  If you like it then you are done.  If you don't like it then you can have it excised and sutured easily.  This is a great location for healing.  Sincerely,

DAvid Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

Your mole would best be removed surgically. I would try a shave excision and assess the outcome in 2 months, at which time you'll either be thrilled, or a few other treatments could be performed to improve the remaining scar or pigmentation. There will always be at least a small mark with surgery, but in this case, the scar would be much less noticeable than the mole and easily covered with makeup if need be.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

I agree with Dr. Schwartz, if the mole has a small base, a shave excision would be a good choice.

+1

I agree with Dr. Schwartz, if the mole has a small base, a shave excision would be a good choice.   Another option would be to shave off the top of the nevus and then punch and stitch the base for a complete removal.  The nevus should be submitted for pathological examination. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

How to have a mole removed from the face

+1

Actually your mole is in a very good location for a surgical removal.  Scars of excisions in concave areas of the face, like nasolabial folds usually have a better cosmetic result than ones on the convex areas. That is due to less light reflections off the concave surfaces.  For an optimal result, the excision should be placed along skin tension lines, again making the nasolabial fold a good location.

Make sure the surgeon removing the mole is a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with training and experience in this type of procedure. 

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole

+1

The mole you have with the changes you are describing should be surgically removed in total for examination.

The scar will be in the crease at the base of the ala.

How the scar will look depend on your genes. NO GUARANTEES OR WARRANTEES TO SCARS. SCARS ARE GENITICALLY PREDETRMINED. In my opinion the scar will look better than the mole