Quitting Smoking Before MACS Lift

I Am Having Macslift in 3 Weeks. I quit smoking 4 months ago. I have been having ONE PUFF of cigarette for last 4 weeks. that is all i have had. Is this ok? I will remain NICOTINE free from now on. My macslift is in 3 weeks.

Smoking and Facelift

+2

Smoking is a tough habit to kick.  However, smoking has some serious harmful effects including significantly increasing your risk of poor healing, poor scarring, and skin necrosis from cosmetic surgery.  I recommend my patients be tobacco free for at least 4 weeks before surgery.   many surgeons perform a urine cotinine (nicotine) test to make sure the nicotine effects have washed out of your system (and you haven't been sneaking in a smoke here and there).  I always inform my patients that even if you have been smoke free for weeks before your surgery, your history of tobacco use does not disappear.  You will still be at some increased risk for healing problems.  Having said that, stopping smoking before and after surgery (and staying away from 2nd hand smoke) is the best that you can do.  Talk to your surgeon to see what his/her recommendations are.  Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Quitting Smoking before MACS Lift important

+1

Being completely nicotine free for 4 months is great and significantly decreases your risk of post operative complications. from a MACS lift. One puff in 4 weeks is probably insignificant if in fact this is a true amount. 

Smoking and lift

+1

Smoking and any kind of lift don’t mix together as the risk of poor healing, scarring, and even loss of skin is dramatically increased.  Having said that you should be OK if you just had 1 puff but i would share that information with your surgeon before surgery

Smoking dangers with face lifts

+1

I have performed face lifts for over 20 years and here are the issues, IMHO with smoking and a face lift:

1. The length of smoking and amount dictates your bloods ability to carry oxygen in your red blood cells (RBC). 
  2. Oxygen carried by the RBC's is what's required, after your face lift, to heal the skin and tissues.  If compromised, the skin can die resulting in unsightly scarring.
  3. If you have decreased oxygen carrying capacity, quitting smoking 3-4 weeks ahead of your face lift is unlikely to reverse the damage done and the decreased oxygen carrying capability of your RBC's.
  4. The other issue with smoking and why we ask patients not to smoke for a month before and after surgeris, like face lifts, is the smoke itself that contains components that can displace oxygen molecules from the RBC's further decreasing the ability of the tissues to heal.

IMHO, patients with a long history (30 or more pack years) or those with known decrease oxygen saturation should not have extensive face lift underming as the risk of skin slough is significant.  The amount of tissue dissection, tightening and removal should similarly be decreased from those with no impairment of their O2 sats.  Smoking after the procedure is also a huge no,no.  Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Total abstinence from Nicotine 5 weeks before Facelift is required if not serious problems can occur

+1

Nicotine, even one puff can cause the blood vessels in your facial skin to spasm the result of which can be inadequate blood flow to your skin after a Facelift. This can result is skin loss and very severe scarring.

It is not worth the risk. Even after you stop smoking damage to your blood vessels from years of smoking has set you up for problems.

Don't take chances-re schedule your Facelift until you have no nicotine in any form (including gum) for at least 5 weeks before a Facelift

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/face-lift/

Smoke free

+1

I ask my patients to quite smoking 8 weeks prior to a surgical procedure. Smoking will increase the risks of post-operative complications. You've come this far, why not just quit? Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking "just one puff" & facelift

+1

I ask all my facelift patients to be completely nicotine free for 8 weeks prior to a facelift, tummy tuck or breast lift.

It's well documented that smokers, even those who have 1-2 cigarettes per day, have a significantly increased complication rate.  And since having a facelift is something you're spending your hard-earned money on, it would silly to potentially jeopardize your outcome, for a couple of puffs of a cigarette....

Smoking prior to facelift

+1

This is elective cosmetic surgery that you are paying hard earned money for.  You owe it to yourself and your pocketbook to take the appropriate preoperative steps to a safe and healthy recovery.  

If you cannot completely refrain from cigarette smoking for 4 weeks before and after your procedure, you owe it to yourself and surgeon to promptly delay your procedure until you can quit smoking.   It is not worth the risk to your health to take shortcuts in this manner.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Smoking prior to facelift surgery

+1

As a general rule, I ask all my patients to remain Nicotine-Free for 1 month prior to surgery, and 1 month after surgery.  Nicotine in any form will have negative effects on wound healing.  You will need to be honest with yourself and your surgeon with regards to your use prior to the procedure, as you results will depend on it.  Good Luck..Dr. Corrado

Web reference: http://www.dranthonycorrado.com/procedures/rhytidectomy.php

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and smoking

+1

I would avoid smoking completely prior to a facelift. This recommendation is for abot 3-4 weeks prior and 3-4 weeks after surgery.