Can I Have a MACS Lift After Having a SMAS Lift?

About six months ago I had a SMAS lift which resulted in more overall laxness, asymmetry and a loss of definition in my cheekbones. My doctor called his procedure a "mid-face lift" and a "cheek lift." Can a MACS lift correct any of this? After further reading the MACS sounds like a much better fit for the results I am looking for, or is it too late?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

More Facial Plastic Surgery after a Face Lift: Most Suggest Waiting a Year

+1

jean1962 in kansas city,

Yes, one may have another face lift procedure after already having a face lift. Experienced face lift surgeons utilize a variety of techniques to help achieve desired results.

However, based on your plastic surgery question and the submitted photograph, another face lift would not be appropriate at this time, regardless of specific surgical technique. I cannot appreciate the asymmetry or loss of cheek definition. As other plastic surgeons have already stated, generally most cosmetic surgeons wait at least one year, if not longer, before considering another face lift procedure.

Alternatives to improve the cheeks without surgery, include cheek injections with fat, hyaluronic acid, Sculptra, Radiesse, or similar materials. Speak with your plastic surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. C

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

MACS Lift After Having a SMAS Lift

+3

Thanks for the photo. Yes you can but please understand there are easier ways to lift the mid face. Like Selphyl injections of a filler to enhance the cheek area. Please be careful. 

MACS Lift After Having a SMAS Lift

+2

The MACS Lift is absolutely ideal for people who have already had a SMAS Facelift. Fully 60% of the facelifts I do have already had one. The only method I use is a modified MACS Lift since it is safer and generally corrects problems from the previous SMAS Facelift. You appear to have 2 problems, however. The first is that the first lift “resulted in more overall laxness, asymmetry and a loss of definition in [your] cheekbones ” only 6 months ago. The question that must be answered is why. Is it the fault of the particular procedure or is it something inherent in your tissues. The MACS may be able to help the former but not the latter. Second, from your picture, you seem to have obtained a very reasonable result. The picture may be deceptive and you may need something entirely different. What you do need is a consult with a Plastic Surgeon who specializes in the face and does a significant amount of revision surgery (and, because of your specific interest, is very familiar with the MACS Lift).

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Facelift with Injectables

+2

I would wait at least 1 year before thinking about another surgery. But yes, a MACS lift can safely be performed. I would have an open, honest discussion with your plastic surgeon to make sure you have realistic expectations. 

MACS lift after SMAS lift

+2

In most instances, a MACS lift can be completed after a SMAS lift. I have completed this in several patients with satsifactory outcomes. However, there are variations to the MACS lift such as the simple versus the extended and optimal results are commonly accomplished with supplementary procedures such as fat grafting and eye procedures, etc. Discuss the specific treatment goals with a qualified surgeon and discuss the best procedure for you. 

MACS Facelift VS. SMAS Facelift VS Cheek Lift

+2

Regarding: "About six months ago I had a SMAS lift which resulted in more overall laxness, asymmetry and a loss of definition in my cheekbones. My doctor called his procedure a "mid-face lift" and a "cheek lift." Can a MACS lift correct any of this? After further reading the MACS sounds like a much better fit for the results I am looking for, or is it too late?"

I agree with the posts by my two colleagues. I think many people are too caught up in the labels rather than understand what each technique can do and cannot do. Just as no two people's faces are exactly alike, performing the exact operation on everybody will result is a large variability of results.

A "SMAS Lift" is one of MANY different Facelift procedures which attempt to reposition facial and neck tissues by manipulation and pulling on the SMAS layer - the SUPERFICIAL MUSCULOAPONEUROTIC SYSTEM (described in 1976 by the Frenchman Vladimir Mitz). If you think about it for a second, the WAY, the DIRECTION and the FORCE with which the SMAS is pulled on and suspended can produce many different results in the same person (just put your finger on a point on your cheek and move it; the direction and distance of movement will change the look to say nothing about the placement of the finger).

The MACS is an elegant SMAS suspension Facelift. To see if it is the answer for you, consult several Plastic surgeons and see what the consensus it. That would be your best approach.

Dr. Peter Aldea

A MACS lift Can be Performed After a SMAS lift

+2

Dear Jean I would echo the opinions of the previous comments and perhaps suggest trying something other than a Facelift for at least another six months to let your tissues settle and for all the things you wish to change to declare themselves.  On occasion fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse, Sculptra can salvage a lift and give more fullness back to the cheek bones.  Cheek implants may also be an option.  A lateral brow lift can on occasion help as well.  On occasion lasers can tighten the skin too.  I would suggest going in with an open mind and ask your plastic surgeon what they might suggest to enhance your look.  There are many exciting opinions out there.  Now that being said another Facelift may be the best one available - however that can only be determined after a thorough examination and discussion with your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

MACS Lift post SMAS lift

+1

Yes - it can safely be performed in this situation. I commonly will perform a MACS lift in a previously operated on patient. I think that the result is often improved in patients who have been previously operated on because the scar tissue from the original procedure holds the sutures more securely, thus improving the reliability and durability of the MACS lift.

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

MACS After SMAS

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.

In general a revision face lift should be safe after 6 months

SMAS is not a midface lift

+1

Thank you for the question, Jean. Although it is possible to manipulate the SMAS when doing a midface lift, usually plastic surgeons perform one or the other depending on the need. I would wait a full year prior to doing another procedure. A face lift should last 10 to 15 years. Anything less is a sham operation. Make sure your plastic surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons and the surgeon you go to can discuss all treatment options. Since all faces are different, all face lifts should also be.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon