Face Turns Red When Embarassed/Nervous?

My face turns red whenever I'm embarrassed or nervous. For example, when I'm presenting something my whole face turns red and my ears. Its annoying and I don't know how to control it. Sometimes it turns red when I'm not even embarrassed or nervous. I don't think its rosacea, but I really don't know what it is. I want to know if there is a solution. I'm hoping there is because I don't plan to go to college with this problem where I'm most likely going to have to take public speaking classes!

It's not uncommon for people to turn red when embarrassed or nervous..

+1

if the problem seems to worsen or last unusually long to return to normal, then there's a good bet it's an early sign of rosacea...and it's possible to keep the vessels from dilating if you get a VBeam treatment every once in awhile...unfortunately there aren't any topicals that keep the vessels from dilating...but they're working on some medicines to do just that...so keep your fingers crossed...and always remember the possibility of green tinted makeup to hide the redness...

Face Turns Red when Embarassed/Nervous

+1

Hi there,

Blushing often occurs when you are nervous or embarrassed.  It can also happen when you are angry.  Your body secretes more adrenaline during these situations, which causes your heart rate and breathing to increase.  The blood vessels in your face also dilate (open up to allow more blood to flow).  Since more blood than usual is now flowing through the capillaries in your face, your face will appear more red.  The effect is even more pronounced in people with fairer skin tones.  Rosacea is a common facial eruption characterized by redness, dilated vessels, flushing, and blushing.  There is no cure for rosacea, but there are some triggers to avoid.  Triggers include: spicy foods and hot drinks, ingestion of alcohol (red wine), exercise in hot weather or heat and sun exposure.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Facial redness and flushing is rosacea

+1

Facial redness and flushing is a sign of rosacea. Flushings can be triggered by environment, social settings, foods, medications, etc. Your best bet will be to see a dermatologist for an evaluation and treatment plan.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD