Can I Get Away with a Mini Tummy Tuck Vs. a Full Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I'm wondering if I can get away with a mini tummy tuck vs. a full tuck if I can get similar results with a smaller scar and less down time. I have mostly loose skin and the whole area feels very hollow, i.e. not much fat in that area. Please note that I do not presently workout and I plan on incorporating more exercise prior to having a tummy tuck. I am 5'5 and 128 lbs.

Tummy tuck

+1
Looks like a full tummy tuck probably the best idea. A mini may not do the trick for you. A few consultations with doctors in your area will give you the knowledge on how best to procede. Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Standard abdominoplasty would give you better results

+1

There is no question that you would be very dissatisfied with the limited results that you would achieve with a mini-lift.  This type of abdominoplasty  has a very limited application.  You need a standard abdominoplasty with anterior abdominal wall fascial repair.

Mini Tummy Tuck Vs. a Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

It would be best to have an in person consultation with a BCPS. An in person consultation would be a complete review of  the positives and negatives of each procedure. You mention a smaller scar and less down time with a mini, but the trade off may be not having an optimal result...these are just some of the things that would be discussed during the consultation process in my practice.

Kenneth A. Marshall, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

If you're going to have surgery, have the procedure most likely to result in a lovely outcome

+1

Hi there-

If we step back from the trees and appreciate the forrest, the answers are usually easier to understand....

Your goal in pursuing this plastic surgery endeavor is to safely achieve the very best outcome you can, right?

An abdominoplasty ("full" tummy tuck) is a much better operation for you.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Can I Get Away with a Mini Tummy Tuck Vs. a Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thanks for the posted photos. Very hard to be exact but I am leaning towards a full TT. Best to obtain in person opinions. 

Mini v full tummy tuck

+1
From the lateral view, there is bulging above the umbilicus and, based on this, I believe that you would be better served by a full abdominoplasty. Given your weight and starting point, you appear to be an excellent surgical candidate. Mini tuck is a limited procedure and is not applicable to most patients.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Full tummy tuck is most often a better choice than mini

+1

A few things to keep in mind when deciding between a mini and full abdominoplasty: First, recovery time is similar though there is a shorter scar with the mini. Second, a mini will have no effect on the skin tone of the upper abdomen. Third, exercise will not change this. Bottom line is that for most patients the full tummy tuck is the better choice.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mini versus Full Tummy tuck

+1

There is no question that a full tummy tuck will give you the best result.  Mini tummy tuck is an overly used term and gives the impression that you will somehow achieve the same results through a smaller incision.  This is not true.  You will have the same incision in your lower abdomen.  The only difference with the full tummy tuck is that all the skin between your belly button and your pubis is removed.  Additionally, your muscles are tightened from your breast bone all the way down to your pubis.  In a mini tuck, you only have liposuction of your upper abdomen and half the skin removed between your belly button and your pubis.  For very thin patients without muscle separation and loose skin only below the belly button, mini tummy tuck may be the best option.  However, for the vast majority of patients, a full tummy tuck is the best choice to achieve the most dramatic results.

Good Luck 

David Shafer, MD

Can I Get Away with a #MiniTummyTuck Vs. a #FullTummyTuck? (photo) ANS:

+1

I have found that very few women are really perfect candidates for a mini-tummy tuck. It seems when sitting that it is really the bottom part of the tummy but many times it is a looseness in the whole thing and when you tighten up just the bottom part, then the top part really looks worse!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon