I Have Lymphedema in my Lower Extremities, is It Safe to Have I-lipo Procedure Done on my Tummy? (photo)

I went to a consultation for I Lipo and was advised because the procedure eliminates the waste through the lymphatic system, this procedure may not be suggestable. Please give your expertise on this matter. Thanks in advance

Lipo with significant lymphedema

+2

Having liposuction in the abdomen with significant leg lymphedema is not recommended.  There are multiply reason to have lymphedema.  Unfortunately not knowing the cause of your issue  I would have to argue agaunst the procedure.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

I Have Lymphedema in my Lower Extremities, is It Safe to Have I-lipo Procedure Done on my Tummy?

+1

All expert posters agree in theory that any abdominal lipo surgery with lymphedema can  cause issues and is not recommended. 

Avoid Laser Liposuction

+1

I would recommend that you avoid any laser liposuction technique. They cause increased scarring and irregularity. It is very difficult to do revision liposuction because of the scarring. The hype and marketing directed to these techniques has made them popular, but this is not based on results. In recent Plastic Surgery meetings experts have advised against these techniques, My experience is the same.

I would recommend tumescent liposuction, which is the gold standard and very effective. New does not always mean better, and it usually means "more expensive".

Good luck.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Lymphedema and liposuction

+1

There are different possible causes of leg swelling including nutritional deficiencies, cardiovascular disease etc. You need to have the cause of the swelling diagnosed before you have any elective cosmetic surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD