Healing of Lymphatic Channels After Tummy Tuck?

I keep reading that the lymphatic channels are cut and interrupted during a Tummy tuck. When do they repair themselves?

Lymnphatic swelling after liposuction

+1

Generally this can take between 4-6 months to improve. However, one slight clarification . Although the coniditon improves, it is not necessarily tha thte lymphatic channels repair themselfves but more likely that the remaining flow is "re-routed through existing channels

Four months

+1

It is true that when a long incision is made above the pubic area (as occurs in an abdominoplasty), tiny lymphatic vessels that normally provide drainage to the lower abdominal skin and soft tissue, are disrupted. This manifests itself in a prolonged blush and sometimes an orange peel type of puckering of the skin . This is called lymphatic edema

In my practice I have performed countless abdominoplasties over the years. This lymphatic edema usually resolves by about four months post operation.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD