What Causes Lymph Node Swelling Below the Incision After BA?

I had a BA 3 weeks ago and I have what appears to be 2 painful veins popping out under each breast especially when I reach my arms up. My ps said it was a lymph node condition 3-4% of woman get after BA. It may go away on its own, but if not, I'll need antibiotics, but not too worry. I read an online article though saying this sometimes happens when there's been a leak in the implants, so now I'm worried! Does this only happen when the implants leak? Should I be worried?

Mondor's Veins

The “painful veins"  under each breasts  are likely to be Mondor veins  which are  in inflamed veins.   This condition is self limited and may respond to anti-inflammatories and warm compresses.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Mondor's syndroms

Mondor's syndrome are the development of cords along the breast fold that are really superficial veins that have a phlebitis. This is usually treated with antiinflammatories and warm compresses.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Cords / bands under the breast after BA

As the other posters have mentioned, it's a common, but temporary side effect of breast surgery called Mondor's syndrome.  It's really an irritated and inflamed vein, not a lymph node.  It will resolve with time (few weeks), not to worry.  Warm compresses and anti-inflammatory medications may help, too.

Thomas Fiala, MD

220 East Central Parkway
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Swelling beneath incision for Breast augmentation tend to be clotted veins and not lymph nodes = Mondor's

This sounds more like Mondor's disease and is usually self limited and tends to resolve with time. Motirn and compresses may help. Discuss this with your surgeon

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Painful Veins after Breast Augmentation

As mentioned, Mondors Syndrome (superficial thrombophlebitis) is occasionally seen, and despite the scary name is minor and goes away with symptomatic treatment.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

4301 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh, NC 27607

Mondor's syndrome after breast augmentation

What you are describing is most likely Mondor's syndrome, which classically appears as sometimes painful cord-like "banjo strings" under the skin just below the breasts following augmentation. This usually appears within a few weeks of breast augmentation and usually resolves spontaneously. It does not need any antibiotics. Be sure you show this to your surgeon to be sure there is nothing more serious going on. It is not associated with implant rupture. Anti-inflamitory drugs such as ibuprofen is helpful.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

631 SW Horne Street
Topeka, KS 66606

Breast augmentation

The new implants (if these silicone gel) are the cohesive type, and leaks are unlikely, unless you had a rupture somehow (very difficult unless they were punctured, still more unlikely).  These are probably thrombosed veins, or a reaction to the procedure.  I would have your PS follow you closely.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

2100 Webster Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

Mondor's Cord causes Swelling Below Incision After Breast Augmentation

It is likely that the swelling you are describing is a visible vein below the skin that has clotted. A Mondor's Cord is such a clotted vein and typically will not cause further problems.

Mondor's Cords are uncommon, can be single or multiple, and I recommend warm compresses and massage for treatment. Other situations, such as traction or pulling from a suture, can cause a cord-like appearance, so it is best to see your surgeon for an evaluation.

Hope this helps

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

761 SouthPark Drive
Littleton, CO 80120