Lyme Disease and Breast Augmentation?

I have a moderate Lymes disease and I'd like to know if it's OK to have breast augmentation surgery. I've been taking Doxycycline for 10 days now and my surgery is scheduled in 6 weeks. Are there any concerns?

Infectious Disease Before Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Christy,

The key is to have your infection treated before you undergo surgery. It is not safe to have your breast augmentation and your body is not stable.

I encourage you to obtain medical clearance before you undergo your surgery.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Lymes and BA

+1

if your lymes disease is very mild and you are on a 6 wk course, you should be fine. however if you have complicated lymes with symptoms that reflect chronic disease such as CNS involvement or heart, then you should delay your surgery, until your lymes disease is fully under control.

you should, of course, discuss your surgery with your lyme's drs. 

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation while taking antiobiotics

+1

While it is never a good idea to undergo any surgical procedure when you are in the recovery process of a health issue, you may be ready for your augmentation in six weeks.  It is best to receive a "medical clearance" from the physician treating you for your Lyme Disease prior to surgery. 

Eric A. Marchant, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lyme Disease and Breast Augmentation

+1

You definitely want to make sure that any infection is well treated before having breast implants placed.  I would make sure that your Plastic surgeon has discussed your case with the physician taking care of your Lyme disease.  It seems that you are far enough out that this can be well treated before your surgery, but your Dr. needs to make a decision in your particular case.  Best of luck to you

James E. Chappell, MD