Can Lying on Your Stomach Affect the Healing of or Displace Nasal Bones 4 Weeks Post-op?

I had an osteotomy performed to narrow my bridge 4 weeks ago. So far I've been sleeping inclined at 45 degrees until now, but today I became so involved in a video game I somehow (and I truly wasn't aware of myself!) lay down on my stomach with my head raised up. Furthermore I would get up on my knees but keep my head below (as if I'm kneeling down, which I've been told not to do). This was for about 4 hours and after getting up I can feel pressure on my bridge, on the sides and between the eyes

Nasal bridge issue and lying on side

+1

At 4 weeks the bones should be almost healed but I tell patients it takes about 6 weeks for the bones to be fairly solid.  Most likely you did not do anything wrong, but if concerned speak to your surgeon.

Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi! Great question! From a purely surgical perspective, it takes 6 weeks for the nasal bones to heal. That is why we typically recommend avoiding any pressure on the bridge of your nose for two months after rhinoplasty. What you are describing seems more like edema (or swelling). Swelling after rhinoplasty takes up to 6 months to completely resolve. You may find that some positions will cause you have a pressure sensation (swelling).... you may also find that some days you have more swelling than others. This is normal. The best thing to do is avoid positions that make swelling worse (primarily dependant positions) until you have completely healed. Good luck!

Jess Prischmann, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lying On Stomach At 4 Weeks After Rhinplasty

+1

Based on the information you have provided and taking the fact that you are a month post-op, I do not think that 4 hours at an unusual physical position could negatively impact your results. 

Nonetheless, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon who knows the full details of your surgery and who can physically examine you if pain or bleeding occurs. 

I recommend you follow your surgeon's instructions religiously and to keep your nose safe from any possible nasal trauma. 

Congratulations on your surgery and the best of luck to you. 

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS